US State Department Issues Honduras Travel Advisory & Reality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am following this thread with great interest. I live on an island off the coast of mainland Panama and hundreds of miles from Panama City. While the country is experiencing no political unrest (and hasn't since Noriega) I am fascinated by the similarities between the Bay Islands reltionship with the mainland and our relationship with the rest of Panama. Sometimes the geographical isolation from the rest of the mainland is a blessing (as in the case with Honduras), but it can also be a curse. I have long thought that Panamanians consider Bocas del Toro part of Costa Rica (we are only 20 miles from the border). For this reason we are always last to get funding for roads, schools, and hospitals, even though it is one of the more popular tourist areas in the country.

...confusion on the mainland is likely to cause commodity shortages on the islands, as has already been seen with fuel...

A surprising majority of "commodities" are shipped to Roatan from Tampa. Really, not all that much comes from the mainland, not that the visiting NorteAmericanos consume.

Fuel? Roatan runs on diesel. Smaller dive ops use gasoline for outboards, so if you're worried about fuel, go with the ones that use diesel. Roatan burns diesel for the power generation, all the fishing boats burn diesel.

Diesel would be the very last thing they're going to run out of. CoCoView alone sits on about a 5,000 gallon supply of diesel at any given time.

I live on an island off the coast of mainland Panama ... the similarities between the Bay Islands reltionship with the mainland and our relationship with the rest of Panama. Sometimes the geographical isolation from the rest of the mainland is a blessing (as in the case with Honduras), but it can also be a curse.

After seeing that Trinidad (which is swimming in oil), produces electricity and sends it via underwater extension cord to Tobago, I shake my head every time I drive by the RECO (Roatan Electric Co) generators that grind away, 24/7, on diesel.

The mainland has sucked profits through airport exit fee taxes out of Roatan for long enough, but a few years back the airport had it's power shut off due to non-payment. (Remember- this is Honduras!)

The mainland of Honduras is rich in hydroelectric power- if they would use preventative maint on the generator's water intakes that have become clogged with mud and debris from clear cutting. Why they can't run that big extension cord over to feed their cash-cow, Roatan, I can't figure out.

... among many other things about Honduras.

The love is really flowing on this thread. :D

As for the jerky, I bring it on all my trips and have never had a problem. It comes in handy when passing through airports when the concessions are all closed.

The AR10 and 2k rounds of ammo was a joke. If you have ever carried even 1k rounds of 7.62 NATO ammo, you would see the irony of traveling with that much weight. AR10s are still in production and basically identical in concept to the AR15, M16 and M4. All of these rifles are highly customizable and use either gas impingement or piston systems. Armalite holds the patent on the AR10, so all other "AR10-type" rifles are generally marketed as AR-308. An AR10 costs about as much as a DSLR underwater housing, with cheaper ones starting around the base Ikelite Nikon D-700 housing price on up through about a Sea & Sea MDX-D700 housing. Not cheap, unless you compare it to the price of being caught with one in Honduras.

I'm still heading down there and suspect it is still far safer than places like Indonesia and the Philippines.

If you guys can refrigerate that dead horse until I get there, I can make some really good jerky.

According to a recent news report:

It looks like Costa Rican President Oscar Arias, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, had agreed to mediate the crisis. Zelaya could come back if Congress grants him amnesty, a spokesman for the Supreme Court told AFP.

Yeah, it seems that DD andRM had some earlier issues...

Anyway, am really happy to live in a country WITHOUT military!
The feeling in Roatan from Friday on started to get somehow scary to me
and i am glad to be back in Costa Rica.

Best regards

Chris

Yeah, it seems that DD andRM had some earlier issues...

Anyway, am really happy to live in a country WITHOUT military!
The feeling in Roatan from Friday on started to get somehow scary to me
and i am glad to be back in Costa Rica.

Best regards

Chris

Enjoy it...you have a wonderful country.

However do not fool yourself, if another nation invaded CR, it would take the MILITARY of some other nation to stop them.

Yeah, shure,
but i rather be invaded than invade or my own army invade my country ...

I feel deeply sad for Honduras and especially Bay Islands and hope that they solve this conflict without any further loss of life as soon as possible.

Chris

Yeah, I say what's on my mind and he hates that about me. Sorry.

Thus, there is nothing to hate about you.

I've read this and other threads about what's going on now in Honduras after seeing the first reports on the news. After I heard the news I sought out sources more prone to tell me really what's going on as opposed to the sensationalist stories that catch eyeballs on CNN, et. al.

Based on what I found out I think this situation is quite similar to the situation in Q. Roo Mexico when the swine flu "pandemic" broke there. The news jumped all over it, people freaked out, everyone stopped going there but why? There were no issues there - not one reported case of piggy flu! So when I talked to the people I know down in Playa del Carmen and they said everything was great I took advantage, booked a cheap flight, cheap rooms and enjoyed a long weekend of diving, relaxing, beach, beer and 5th avenue with darn near no one around! Coz was dead, boats were 1/4 full and it was awesome! I only wish I had enough vacation and $$ left to do the same thing now because I'd be back at CCV or in the West End in a heartbeat taking advantage of the fact that everyone else's sphincter is tighter than a Fort Knox time lock right now about going to Honduras!

Would I go through the mainland - no. But I didn't go through the mainland in April when I was at CCV for a glorious week+ either because I could get a direct flight from Houston. And I'd go back now in a heartbeat!! Those 8 days on Roatan at CCV back in April were some of the bast I've ever spent!!

Back
Top Bottom