Urgent!!! Masks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eugene01

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Can anyone please enlighten me on which mask is better? i am urgently trying to get a mask but didn't know which to choose from... the bio-metal mask from apollo or the cressi big eyes? what are their advantages? especially in their vision coz both is said to provide extra wide vision and low volume.

As far as I am concerned, there's only three things to think about when buying a mask;

1. Black or transparent skirt. Transparent skirts give you some periferal (sp?) vision, albeit distorted and inaccurate. The big tries to give you more downwards periferal vision, but never having dived with one I can't comment on its effectiveness. A black skirt reduces reflection and therefore distraction. Choice is yours.

2. Get the mask as low volume as possible. The closer the glass is to your eyes, the more accurate your depth perception is going to be.

3. Most importantly, try on the mask and buy the most comfortable one. Not the one that looks better. Not the one that the shop assistant says is better. The one that fits best.

Put the mask on your face, without using the strap. Suck in gently through your nose, and the mask should hang on tight enough for you to be able to give it a good tug before it comes off. If it doesn't stick, don't buy it.

Oh yeah, also make sure that the mask doesn't create any pressure points on the bridge of your nose. Makes for very uncomfortable diving.

Hi,

I usually dive with a cressi big eyes and I think it's a very good mask. You'll get extended down vision field and the mask is very confortable. However, you should try different masks before deciding as all faces are different.

Take care.

The top ten things to consider when buying a mask are fit, fit, fit, fit, fit, fit, comfort, fit, comfort and fit.
E. itajara

You'll probably find that either every mask you try will fit, or none of them will. If your in the first group then just buy the one that your most comfortable in.

If your in the latter group you need to keep trying on masks until you find one that really does fit. If it doesn't fit well it will leak.

As to black surround vs clear, some of it is preference and some of it is diving environment, if you dive where there is a lot of ambient light, blocking it out is much more of an issue.

The Big Eyes does not provide extra wide vision, what it gives you is fantastic downward vision - you have almost the same downward vision as if you weren't wearing a mask (I dive with one). Try the Horizon for wide angle vision - I haven't, but it looks like it would provide more peripheral vision. As long as it fits.

this dive shop in australia has quoted me with A$135 for the big eyes. he is over pricing it right? i found from ebay that it cost only US$37

froop,

Excellent post, but two additions in seeing if a mask fits. Look at the ceiling, then place the mask on your face. Gravity will cause a mask to seal if it really fits. If available, have a buddy look for gaps between your face and the mask. If any are seen, try another mask. If not, move to the sniff test you described. Don't touch the mask or bring your face down untill after you sniff.

There are a few other considerations when choosing a mask, but as long as you shop at a dive shop, they should be automatic. Tempered glass (K-mart has a recall on thousands of kids masks), double skirt, split strap (or slap strap), and non corosive frame are also important.

eugene01 once bubbled...
this dive shop in australia has quoted me with A$135 for the big eyes. he is over pricing it right? i found from ebay that it cost only US$37

Or $31.80 from DiveInn at http://www.scubastore.com/eng/index.asp.

I have a Cressi Horizon and love it. But as everyone else has said the key is fit. The problem with buying on line is that you don't get a chance to try them on.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom