Urgent!!! Masks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eugene01 once bubbled...
this dive shop in australia has quoted me with A$135 for the big eyes. he is over pricing it right? i found from ebay that it cost only US$37
Where in Australia are you from???

hey eugene,

Australian$135 sounds abt right for the retail price for a big eyes mask here in perth (western austalia)...

but shop the prices around if u decide to buy in oz, u should be able to do better than that....

I used to like these super low volume masks like Mares "Shooter" but I tried the Cressi Big Eyes and it's just great for downward (i.e. looking at gauges, buckles) view.

Having said that I also tried what I thought was going to be an awful mask-Scubapro's frameless. I can't remember the name but another company makes one just like it and it's called "Onyx" and it's much cheaper.

I wondered why Rodales gave these masks such great reviews until I tried one. They are very comfortable and while they don't ahve the downward view of the Big Eyes they are superior to it in every other dimension. I was really shocked.

The frameless is a great design for people who don't have big noses since the lens sits so close to your face-that's why the view is so good.

There are two types of faces, those that work with any mask (no leaks) and those that are sufficiently different that they don't work with most masks...

I, unfortunately, am in the latter class. Most masks will leak under pressure for me, right by the far corners of my eyes (issue of cheek bone and forehead shape and width of skull).

With my first mask, I was just plain lucky. It just happened to not leak and it fit well.

My second mask was a disaster -- I thought it fit well but at 30 feet, it would leak no matter what I did.

Long and short of it is that, for me, most masks don't fit. The best way to test is find which masks feel like they fit and then test them underwater.

This is doubly important if you need prescription lenses in your mask... At $150 bucks for bifocal lenses, a mistake in mask selection gets very expensive very fast.

In my book, if you find a mask that really fits well, go buy another one...

And I love LeisurePro and DiveInn and other internet shops but for something like this, I have to go to my (friendly, supportive, helpful) LDS cause they have a pool in which to try-before-I-buy.

[I buy other stuff from my LDS too. And I buy stuff from the Internet...that's in a different thread.]

Cheers,

Fit Fit Fit........trying them on over and over and over again. I bought an aqualung Quartz 3 after my OW and until I went deep during my AOW didnt find out it pressured the bridge of my nose badly so now it a cheap oceanic and I bloody love it :) Anyone in need of a barely dove quartz 3 ...

Cherry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom