Upcoming New Fins and Fin Technologies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever had any issue with cracking where the foot pocket meets the blade?
I am not a seawing user but have dived with several. That was was a "first run" issue long since corrected through redesign. I am told. Hollis F-1 "x-type" diver myself.
Adding that the seawing divers I've been out with have been both diving warm and cold water rigs, and all were very happy and looked to be highly maneuverable.

I am not a seawing user but have dived with several. That was was a "first run" issue long since corrected through redesign. I am told. Hollis F-1 "x-type" diver myself.
Adding that the seawing divers I've been out with have been both diving warm and cold water rigs, and all were very happy and looked to be highly maneuverable.

I also use Hollis F1's. For travel fins I currently use F2's but am looking into some others as well.

Have you ever had any issue with cracking where the foot pocket meets the blade?

I believe those problems were with the first production Novas. They are on like Gen-2 or Gen-3 now. I've used both the regular Novas and the Gorillas. The Gorillas were too stiff for my tired old knees, but the regular Novas are a blessing.

I use my regular Novas for times when I might have to FLUTTER kick against a strong current such as the Flower Garden NMS off the coast of Texas. I find them much easier on my knees after a few days of diving.

For non-current diving I prefer to FROG kick with Mares Avanti Quattros.

I believe those problems were with the first production Novas. They are on like Gen-2 or Gen-3 now. I've used both the regular Novas and the Gorillas. The Gorillas were too stiff for my tired old knees, but the regular Novas are a blessing.

I use my regular Novas for times when I might have to FLUTTER kick against a strong current such as the Flower Garden NMS off the coast of Texas. I find them much easier on my knees after a few days of diving.

For non-current diving I prefer to FROG kick with Mares Avanti Quattros.

CB, I am moving to South Texas in a month and am looking forward to diving the gulf. I will be in the San Diego, TX area which is in between Corpus and Padre. I am looking forward to diving the wrecks and the flower gardens. How are they?

Have you tried them both? Can you feel a big difference between the two?

Yes - trying my wife's is what made me decide to get a pair :D. When I really notice the difference is in current. During other use i personally don't notice that much of a difference.

CB, I am moving to South Texas in a month and am looking forward to diving the gulf. I will be in the San Diego, TX area which is in between Corpus and Padre. I am looking forward to diving the wrecks and the flower gardens. How are they?

The Flower Gardens are wonderful and very healthy. Check into diving with flingcharters.com their website usually has some great photos and videos. Rigs are abundant down here also. I have not done any of the Texas wrecks, such as the Clipper, but my friends have and they really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This video link shows some pretty new fin technology. It's probably pretty radical from most divers' perspectives and it has more in common with DARPA's PowerSwim hack than normal scuba fins, but if anyone is interested in it, I make these fins. It's a lot of fun to fly around with one of these in the right environment and doubles as a really good fin for freediving also.

[video]https://youtu.be/Kr4vUrCWuXg[/video]

This video link shows some pretty new fin technology. It's probably pretty radical from most divers' perspectives (...)

Radical to say the least. It's an expensive gadget, not really a fin that can be compared to those being discussed here.

Radical to say the least. It's an expensive gadget, not really a fin that can be compared to those being discussed here.
Not comparable to "Upcoming New Fins and Fin Technologies"? I'd think something like this should be central to the discussion and, therefore, should be compared. So it's a bit expensive compared to mass produced scuba fins... It's in about in the same price range as good composite blade freedive fins and really priced pretty good for something with such unique technology that is handmade in the USA. It's actually damn cheap if it can alleviate the need for a DPV.

If you're interested in solely swimming forward with zero ability for independent control of your legs, sure. Myself, I like to do things like helicopter turns, back kicks, etc. If all I ever wanted to do was swim straight, they'd be worth a look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom