Upcoming New Fins and Fin Technologies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Please post your info on upcoming new fins and new fin technologies. If owned please let us know how they compare to our old favorites like Hollis F1's, SP Jets, and the such. Feel free to add any for comparison. One that has been brougt up already is the Cressi Master Frog.

The Master Frog is not "new" but in my view is one of the best all around fins made for SCUBA. Cressi took their freedive blade, with its sharp snappy material, shortened it and widened it for scuba use. The fin has a large surface area, is very light, and has a very strong snap. Loads of power when needed, delicate maneuvers when those are called for. Far and away, to me, better than the heavy vented fins (never saw the point in fins with holes or vents--aren't fins supposed to move water?). They are superb at all kicks, flutter, frog, helicopter and backwards because they have thin blades with no side "rails" or other bumps, struts, or other gizmos, so they sideslip effortlessly. All that is needed is to replace the straps with spring or bungee straps.

I am going to be comparing these to Exellerating Force Fins very soon, so will report on that.

Thanks for that info Guy. They sound great.

---------- Post added September 30th, 2015 at 12:02 PM ----------

Guy can you provide a link to the Cressi Master Frog, I can't seem to find a good one.

I would try LeisurePro if you cannot find it on Cressi's website.. It might be that the new Cressi ARA stiff blade is the "successor" to the Master Frog. If so, I don't know if the Master Frog would still be made. There are some new Master Frogs on Amazon right now for $130.00.

I would try LeisurePro if you cannot find it on Cressi's website.. It might be that the new Cressi ARA stiff blade is the "successor" to the Master Frog. If so, I don't know if the Master Frog would still be made. There are some new Master Frogs on Amazon right now for $130.00.

I think this may be the case. I just ordered some master frogs from amazon last night. I needed new free dive fins and I HATE the splits I was given that I have been using. I figured these may be a decent hedge since I don't freedive terribly deep anyhow (like 30 feet max)

These seem right but my alley and I wanted a fin that is neutral or slightly positive. The Aras with the stiff blade seem the same but even Cressi isn't posting the fins technical specs (length width etc).

The master frogs + the cressi elatic snap band cost about what the Ara did.

So guy, if I hate these fins, its your fault! j/k but I am glad amazon has such a nice return policy.

Far and away, to me, better than the heavy vented fins (never saw the point in fins with holes or vents--aren't fins supposed to move water?).

This video is long, but he explains why those fins have vents in them. Then he talks about those abortions of a Scubapro fin. You don't need to watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPimlL4BZM0

This video is long, but he explains why those fins have vents in them. Then he talks about those abortions of a Scubapro fin. You don't need to watch the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPimlL4BZM0

Good video. I think the Sea Wing Nova has or had issues with failures occurring at the joint between the foot pocket and the paddle. I haven't heard a whole lot of hands on comments about them though.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2015 at 06:12 PM ----------

I think this may be the case. I just ordered some master frogs from amazon last night. I needed new free dive fins and I HATE the splits I was given that I have been using. I figured these may be a decent hedge since I don't freedive terribly deep anyhow (like 30 feet max)

These seem right but my alley and I wanted a fin that is neutral or slightly positive. The Aras with the stiff blade seem the same but even Cressi isn't posting the fins technical specs (length width etc).

The master frogs + the cressi elatic snap band cost about what the Ara did.

So guy, if I hate these fins, its your fault! j/k but I am glad amazon has such a nice return policy.

The Cressi website says the ARA EBS fins are the 2015 version of the master frogs so I think you will be pleased. This is another fin I would love to try out.

I have a student who has a sweet frog kick with her Seawing Novas. I may have to give them a try.

[/COLOR]

The Cressi website says the ARA EBS fins are the 2015 version of the master frogs so I think you will be pleased. This is another fin I would love to try out.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see that part on their site honestly but my lds didn't have them in the stiff blade and neither did Amazon for my size. But I'm pretty excited to give them a whirl this weekend

[/COLOR]

The Cressi website says the ARA EBS fins are the 2015 version of the master frogs so I think you will be pleased. This is another fin I would love to try out.

I didn't see that part on their site honestly but my lds didn't have them in the stiff blade and neither did Amazon for my size. But I'm pretty excited to give them a whirl this weekend[/QUOTE]

Please give me a report after you get to try them. I am really looking for a new pair of fins for my wife. I am also always looking for a better travel fin.

Back
Top Bottom