Unusual request : my daughter wants to stay and dive in Florida...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear all,

Many many thanks for your ideas & suggestions. :giveusahug:

- Dive clubs and shops. We will definitely contact the names suggested here. And keep you informed on how this progresses.
- Thalassamania. Many thanks for this kind offer. We will contact you by PM.
- Scuba camps. We had thought about it and although this would indeed be a good way for Thelma to stay, it will be difficult if not impossible to make it work schedule wise. Thelma has national written tests from June 18 to June 22 (hopefully she'll pass through on her first attempt, and won't have to go through oral tests) and we are leaving for our place down South on Saturday July 21st. And everything I have looked so far isn't working at all. But I'll keep on looking.
- Same for Disney or Cirque du Soleil. Thelma needs to go back to school in September! But I keep it in mind for a few years down the road.

Thanks again. If you ever come to France, Paris and Champagne particularly, I'll be happy to reciprocate the help you have shown.

I sent you a PM with a dive shop of interest.

reef.org in the keys has a Reef Marine Conservation Internship program. You could contact them and see if they could let her volunteer and stay with their interns.

Dear all,
Just wanted to let you know the developments, and thank you for your help and suggestions.
To summarize quickly nothing has worked out yet but we are still waiting for some answers.
- we have been in contact with a journalist (ex-diver) from the Reporter who is willing to help
- Anya from Key Largo has very kindly replied that she had nothing available
- We haven't heard back from Debbie Boyce at Discovery Diving in NC
- Reef.org seems very interesting but internship are 4 month long, unfortunately
- Broadbeach camp was very interesting but price a bit steep (around 10K$ including flight...).
- Nice offer from Thalassamania that hopefully will work for 2013 summer.

If we don't hear from the Reporter we will contact directly a few diving clubs in the Keys.
Kind regards to all of you.

Frederic and Thelma

Regular reports on your adventure in the Keys would be appreciated.

Would you really leave you 17 year old daughter in South Florida with people you don't know? Didn't you see the movie "Taken"?

Would you really leave you 17 year old daughter in South Florida with people you don't know? Didn't you see the movie "Taken"?

Well I guess you saw "Jaws" and "Open Water" and you're still diving, right ? :wink:
Of course I would not leave my daughter in anyone's hands, which is exactly why I was reaching out the diver's community and trying to find a family with a teenager. I'm not desperate to send Thelma to the US, and if doesn't work out, no problems at all. Sorry if it sounds like it!

...Of course I would not leave my daughter in anyone's hands, which is exactly why I was reaching out the diver's community and trying to find a family with a teenager. I'm not desperate to send Thelma to the US, and if doesn't work out, no problems at all. Sorry if it sounds like it!

I am here to tell you that an association with the south Florida diving community is no guarantee of safety for a 17 year old, either in or out of the water. I suggest you wait unit she is able to travel with an adult you know well. And frankly I wasn't kidding about the association with the movie Taken. South Florida has more than its share of predators. Click this link and enter a zip code. I think you may be shocked by the results.

FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators - Neighborhood Search

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom