Unusual request : my daughter wants to stay and dive in Florida...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oblade94

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I am writing on behalf of my 17 y.o. daughter Thelma (oblade94 – see introductions ; she just posted a message) for what might be an unusual request.
I would like to find her a family of divers where she could spend 2 to 3 weeks this coming July so that she could combine learning English and scuba-diving at the same time. She is a very nice kid, doing well at school, easy-going, passionate about the diving. She'll be going to an intense preparatory school next year to join a top University and a good level in English would help her tremendously. I myself was lucky to live 2 ½ years in the USA when I was younger (I was an assistant winemaker in California back then) and it has been a great boost for my career.
This could be done as an exchange program if the family had a teen-ager of about the same age, since we have a very nice place in the South of France (near Saint Tropez) where we could welcome he/she. This is where we dive in spring and summer (this is where we dive usually - I am a CMAS 4 myself and a free-diving instructor). If this is not an option, we would contribute entirely to the financial cost of Thelma's stay in Florida, including the dives of course.
If anyone here of this forum is interested or can introduce us to people who would be, we would truly appreciate it. Leave a message here or contact us through PM. Feel free also to ask any question.
I am also considering reaching out a local newspaper to reach a wider audience.
Many thanks in advance for your help. Merci!

Fred
user_online.gif

It sounds like you should contact some dive shops and offer a volunteer to help them in exchange for diving/housing type of thing. Many ops are family owned.

It sounds like you should contact some dive shops and offer a volunteer to help them in exchange for diving/housing type of thing. Many ops are family owned.

Hello, it sure sounds like a good idea. Any particular operation that you would particularly recommend? I will also look on my side, with the help of the web.
Many thanks again.

Just be careful on who you agree nto do this with . I am not saying that any one could be shady . But you are a long way from Florida . Just don't jump at the first offer do your home work check them out . Scuba divers are great people but there are some bad apples . Just my humble advice good luch .I hope she will have a GREAT time during her stay. staying with a family will give her a way to practice her English.My brother -in-law went to Germany and lived with a family and learned German fluently. He stayed for 3 months

Last edited:
I suggested in her post, in French, that she could consider a six-month paid internship at Disney - EPCOT - aquarium work.
Doesn't pay much - but they treat their employees well - and free lodging with transportation (their busses).

On a weekend she can do a quick (and probably cheap) plane hop from Orlando Int'l airport to Miami, to get to the keys, or maybe arrive directly.

I don't know why - but Cirque du Soleil operating in Las Vegas - O - can only take divers with US work permits or residents.

So my son, being a Canadian, can't go there, even if for just a year.

I'm just worried she'll be disappointed with Caribbean diving compared to places she's been to.

Why not send her to a program such as Broadreach? Broadreach Summer programs, Study Abroad & Teen Adventure Camps

They feature amazing programs for teens/young adults packed with sailing, scuba, trekking, community service, and the oppourtunity to explore cultures all over the world. Although it is primarily North Ameican kids, international students are very welcome.

Hope this helps.

<BR><BR>I am writing on behalf of my 17 y.o. daughter Thelma (oblade94 &#8211; see introductions ; she just posted a message) for what might be an unusual request. <BR>I would like to find her a family of divers where she could spend 2 to 3 weeks this coming July so that she could combine learning English and scuba-diving at the same time. She is a very nice kid, doing well at school, easy-going, passionate about the diving. She'll be going to an intense preparatory school next year to join a top University and a good level in English would help her tremendously. I myself was lucky to live 2 ½ years in the USA when I was younger (I was an assistant winemaker in California back then) and it has been a great boost for my career. <BR>This could be done as an exchange program if the family had a teen-ager of about the same age, since we have a very nice place in the South of France (near Saint Tropez) where we could welcome he/she. This is where we dive in spring and summer (this is where we dive usually - I am a CMAS 4 myself and a free-diving instructor). If this is not an option, we would contribute entirely to the financial cost of Thelma's stay in Florida, including the dives of course.<BR>If anyone here of this forum is interested or can introduce us to people who would be, we would truly appreciate it. Leave a message here or contact us through PM. Feel free also to ask any question.<BR>I am also considering reaching out a local newspaper to reach a wider audience.<BR>Many thanks in advance for your help. Merci!<BR><BR>Fred<BR><BR>

Have you considered the EASE House in Vero Beach??

Their staff instructors and course directors teach open water all the way through technical cave and trimix diving. The facility is Live-In and Philippe speaks french in addition to many other languages. Might be a good fit?

-Steve

Last edited:
My wife and I have a small, sustainable, organic farm and retreat on the Big Island of Hawaii. If Hawaii is of interest we'd be happy to discuss it, since we have a teenage boy of 15 who would like to travel in the future. We had two students from Sweden stay with us whom he wants to visit next year.

He's leaving for school on the mainland this summer, before he goes I will be running a course for him that qualifies for a CMAS *** Scientific Diver Brevet.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom