Unusual request : my daughter wants to stay and dive in Florida...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- Broadbeach camp was very interesting but price a bit steep (around 10K$ including flight...).

Broadreach offers a number of scholarships through the Broadreach Foundation :

http://www.broadreachfoundation.com/

(No, I dont work for Broadreach, but I did run trips with them for several years. It is an amazing opportunity for young adults. Granted, I know the price is prohibitive for most people.)

For what it is worth, I wouldn't send my kid unsupervised to the Florida Keys without some sort of structured and time-tested program such as Sea-Camp, etc... Of course the Keys are full of great people, but they also attract a number of individuals that are pretty rough. I have several friends raising kids there, and they keep their teens on a very short leash as there are ample opportunities to make poor decisions, witness adults behaving badly, and deal with sketchy situations. There is a side of the Keys that is a great small-town-America. There is also a side that is the "end of the road."

Then again, I guess one can find that anywhere...Man, I am glad I don't have kids... :)

Broadreach offers a number of scholarships through the Broadreach Foundation :

Scholarships and Financial Aid for International Travel | Broadreach Foundation

(No, I dont work for Broadreach, but I did run trips with them for several years. It is an amazing opportunity for young adults. Granted, I know the price is prohibitive for most people.)

For what it is worth, I wouldn't send my kid unsupervised to the Florida Keys without some sort of structured and time-tested program such as Sea-Camp, etc... Of course the Keys are full of great people, but they also attract a number of individuals that are pretty rough. I have several friends raising kids there, and they keep their teens on a very short leash as there are ample opportunities to make poor decisions, witness adults behaving badly, and deal with sketchy situations. There is a side of the Keys that is a great small-town-America. There is also a side that is the "end of the road."

Then again, I guess one can find that anywhere...Man, I am glad I don't have kids... :)

Thanks for the feed-back on Broadreach, matts1w. Very useful to hear from someone who worked with them. I will definitely look at it for future years, if planed ahead, money would be less of a hinder.
Were you involved with any of their diving programme? and where?
Best

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 09:52 PM ----------

I am here to tell you that an association with the south Florida diving community is no guarantee of safety for a 17 year old, either in or out of the water. I suggest you wait unit she is able to travel with an adult you know well. And frankly I wasn't kidding about the association with the movie Taken. South Florida has more than its share of predators. Click this link and enter a zip code. I think you may be shocked by the results.

FDLE Florida Sexual Offenders and Predators - Neighborhood Search

Point well taken, Reck Diver. Thanks for the warning. We'll be extra careful, should Thelma find a place/family to stay.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 09:55 PM ----------

Here's a link for a camp. They might have dates that work for you: http://scubaworks.com/?page_id=31 I received my ow certification from there and they are very professional. If that doesn't work maybe I can trade places with your daughter I love the Cote D'Azur!

Many thanks for this useful link, Squidproquo (fun nickname, btw); Thelma and I have been looking at the many possibilities. We might find something that would fit her well. Merci !

Fred

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 10:08 PM ----------

Here's a link for a camp. They might have dates that work for you: http://scubaworks.com/?page_id=31 I received my ow certification from there and they are very professional. If that doesn't work maybe I can trade places with your daughter I love the Cote D'Azur!

Many thanks for this useful link, Squidproquo (fun nickname, btw); Thelma and I have been looking at the many possibilities. We might find something that would fit her well. Merci !

Fred

So I think it's time for an update on Thelma's research. She'll be attending Seacamp in Big Pine Key late June / early July. It seems like a great programme, with a nice mix of diving, research in marine biology, and other activities within a fairly International crowd and in what looks like a beautiful environnent. i hope she'll learn as much English as she'll have a good time...
A big thank you to all of you for all your help and suggestions, and a special Merci to Squidproquo for the link to Seacamp.
I'm sure Thelma will relate here her adventures in the Keys.
Best,
Fred & Thelma

She'll be attending Seacamp in Big Pine Key late June / early July. It seems like a great programme, with a nice mix of diving, research in marine biology, and other activities within a fairly International crowd and in what looks like a beautiful environnent. i hope she'll learn as much English as she'll have a good time...

Great decision! Seacamp is an awesome program and has withstood the test of time having been around for years.

My brother -in-law went to Germany and lived with a family and learned German fluently. He stayed for 3 months

:confused:I take it that you don't speak German. No offense intended- OK maybe just a little.... but my Japanese and French are flawless... to other people who don't understand what I'm saying. This is after 4 years of secondary school, 3 years of university, living in Japan for 3 years and now having a French wife.

I think there are people who can learn languages very quickly indeed- 3 months is idiot savante material.

To the OP and daughter, good luck and have an awesome experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom