unstick paralenz rotary switch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d^2b

Worse diving through photography
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Somehow after our last trip in July, my wife's (original) paralenz has a stuck rotary switch (that goes between modes like video and on-off). I suspect due to complications it didn't get rinsed as well as it should.

Does anybody have any experience with this? currently soaking in warmish water, but no change after a few hours. I haven't yet tried something like a wrench on it (don't have a big enough one in my travel tool kit). Obviously I'd prefer not to make things worse by shattering something.

Somehow after our last trip in July, my wife's (original) paralenz has a stuck rotary switch (that goes between modes like video and on-off). I suspect due to complications it didn't get rinsed as well as it should.

Does anybody have any experience with this? currently soaking in warmish water, but no change after a few hours. I haven't yet tried something like a wrench on it (don't have a big enough one in my travel tool kit). Obviously I'd prefer not to make things worse by shattering something.
rust on the magnets of the selector switch,

I managed to pry the ring off and scrap some of the rust out. It now more or less works, except the mode sometime seems off by one from the position of the dial.

Right so what'll happen if you scrap some more of the rust out

I soak mine in hot water next to my regs and torches and stuff

I managed to pry the ring off and scrap some of the rust out. It now more or less works, except the mode sometime seems off by one from the position of the dial.
Can you clean the small recess on the inside of the ring, there’s rust somewhere.
Try Ebay for a kit.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 34
The magnets rust. I bought two spare “rings” just before they went bust. Used both now.

Has anyone found replacement magnets and replaced them in the ring?

The magnets rust. I bought two spare “rings” just before they went bust. Used both now.

Has anyone found replacement magnets and replaced them in the ring?
I was wondering if refrigerator magnets could be cut

I’d lay money on those magnets being "standard" sizes and possibly replaceable.

Or, to put it bluntly, without them, the whole camera is worthless scrap.

How did you do it? I have the same problem than the op with my paralenz, initially thought that it was some grains of sand. Thanks in advance.

It's fiddly. The outer metal ring gets stuck on the inner plastic ring (actually two halves, one with rusty magnets).

You need to remove the charging cover then wriggle the outer metal ring whilst pulling it outwards. I don't think levering it is good, although you may have to for a little bit.

On the magnet ring there's three locating lugs on the forward side which the outer metal control ring locates into.

The inner rings come out of a groove in the main body. Clean 'em up and lube with silicone grease.

Broken magnet symptoms:
Rotating the ring doesn't seem to enable you to select one or more of the 5 modes (video, photo, custom, settings and on/off)

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom