unstick paralenz rotary switch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really lucky the guy's got the one with the blue ring then, hey!

and definitely NO SILICONE GREASE in on or around any mechanisms

Just a smidge on the sealing orings maybe more than a smidge

and definitely NO SILICONE GREASE in on or around any mechanisms

Just a smidge on the sealing orings maybe more than a smidge
Just to be clear, why no silicone grease on the rings? Is there some issue with that?

Can you clean the small recess on the inside of the ring, there’s rust somewhere.
Try Ebay for a kit.
Alas, more serious scraping when I got home revealed one of the "magnets" was entirely rust. So that probably explains things being off-by-one, as it is one of the magnets on the end of the row. I don't have any thin enough magnets on hand, but I guess that is the next step, since finding replacement switch assemblies seems impossible.

Alas, more serious scraping when I got home revealed one of the "magnets" was entirely rust. So that probably explains things being off-by-one, as it is one of the magnets on the end of the row. I don't have any thin enough magnets on hand, but I guess that is the next step, since finding replacement switch assemblies seems impossible.
you’ll have to cut and shape some, hopefully someone will come up with a solution, I think we’re all in the same boat and it’s sinking.

The hole where the magnet was looks about 5mm in diameter, and the holder about 1.75mm thick. Maybe a 5mm x 1mm thick flat magnet work work? if the magnets have to be curved that sounds pretty hard to me.

The hole where the magnet was looks about 5mm in diameter, and the holder about 1.75mm thick. Maybe a 5mm x 1mm thick flat magnet work work? if the magnets have to be curved that sounds pretty hard to me.
I’ll watch your tread with interest, sure hope you come up with an answer.

Update: replaced two of the rusted out magnets with 4mm x 1mm "neodymium" magnets from amazon. Currently held in the plastic with duct tape, but the camera seems to switch smoothly between all modes. I am thinking I should try a drop of epoxy around the magnet to hold it in and waterproof it a bit. I guess some kind of caulking/sealant might work as well. I suspect the duct tape will slide around once it gets wet.

[Edit] fixed spelling of Neodymium

Update: replaced two of the rusted out magnets with 4mm x 1mm "niobidium" magnets from amazon. Currently held in the plastic with duct tape, but the camera seems to switch smoothly between all modes. I am thinking I should try a drop of epoxy around the magnet to hold it in and waterproof it a bit. I guess some kind of caulking/sealant might work as well. I suspect the duct tape will slide around once it gets wet.
Any chance you could post a link, thanks

Update: replaced two of the rusted out magnets with 4mm x 1mm "niobidium" magnets from amazon. Currently held in the plastic with duct tape, but the camera seems to switch smoothly between all modes. I am thinking I should try a drop of epoxy around the magnet to hold it in and waterproof it a bit. I guess some kind of caulking/sealant might work as well. I suspect the duct tape will slide around once it gets wet.
Thank you for the update.

Based on assorted other repairs I've done if using epoxy make sure to physically scratch up the area and use a type that is specifically made to do as well as possible on plastics (which most epoxies don't bond particularly well to). A cyanoacrylate adhesive formulated to work well with plastics AND underwater is another option (best of which also have a primer for the plastic).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom