Underwater Treasure hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now doing it for a weekend dive and dine sounds like an interesting idea. That might be something we could plan in June. May is already just about booked up. I bet we could get some of the lds's interested.

If we do it like the amazing race with three or four teams, maybe four divers per team. Something like that...

Donna you are very creative!! You came up with the Earth Day Clean Up Dive and it was a great success!! We need some boat owners to help us out again like the "Fish Trap". **hint...hint** That was an awesome boat BTW...

What about over a month and we could put the same clues on different dive sites such as beach dives and Boat dives. Maybe a set of clues a week?

That sounds great Gary!! That would give everyone a chance to join in. Those that wanted to do shore dives and those that wanted to do boat dives..

This sorta sounding like finding a key to a motorcycle that a radio station would do. I’m with Gary I would spread it out over a month giving clues each week. And maybe a extra clue here in there at a dive site.

Now with this said as the owner of Paradise Service I would be happy to donate a gift certificate to the cause and I’m almost sure I could get Nelsons to put up one to.

Thanks Tom!!! This idea is taking off!!

Okay. I'm thinking we will start July 3rd. The first clue will be given on July 3rd. And let the games begin. Each Tuesday night a clue will be posted on this thread. There will be two locations for each weeks clue, one accessible by land and one accessible by boat. At each location you will find a piece of the final Treasure map that will lead you to the Treasure, however, without all the map pieces the final Treasure site will be very difficult to find. So if you miss one weeks clue, you can still find the Treasure but it will be very difficult without all the map pieces. The Treasure hunt will continue until someone brings in the Treasure. I actually have a Treasure chest! The final Treasure chest will be full of prizes from the local dive shops and gift certficates from local restaurants, etc. The teams can be made up of no more than four certified divers (a boat captain may count as a team member if he is certified, if he is not certified, he is just a captain and can not help other than to pilot the boat). There will be six pieces of the Treasure map, once all the clues are given for the pieces, we will declare the winner by whoever brings the Treasure in. With six weeks, that means we should be complete with the clues by August 8th (ha that's my birthday!) Teams may not work together. Teams may not employ the help of un-team members. Any foul play will be will be admonished with "Cheaters are Losers" and we will make fun of you forever! However, Pirates hide the Treasure, and Pirates find the Treasure. But other than a Pirates honor code, which is a very loose code indeed, all bets are off. Each team must acknowledge themselves publically on this forum and must state prior to the first clue on July 3rd, who their members are. How does this sound?

That doesn't seem fair. I couldn't afford to go down to the coast every weekend to do a treasure hunt.

I WANNA PLAY!!!!!

Michael

This really sounds very cool, but , and did I mention I like big BUTTS, gotta work every other weekend and WSW works every weekend...that being said I would love to follow a treasure hunt thread to keep up from over here.....and maybe we could plan "special" dive and dines once every so often for a short little treasure hunt. on the bottom....back when I was a kid in the Scouts we did a land nav course that had a 100 foot line and every five or ten feet it had a number on it. you would step out (count fin cycles) the 100 feet to find one's pace count, then each Patrol (Team/ buddy pair) would be given a set of numbers one would be the heading and the other would be a distance. Once they located their first marker there would be another heading and distance, then at the second marker was the "home run" back to the line on a heading and distance ( making a triangle) then they had to land on a different number than they left on the winner was the group to land on the correct number or one closest to it...there are several ways this could be set up and makes for a fun navigation class or skills refresher...I set one underwater one up for our SCUBA explorer post years ago...Just an idea for maybe a few of us weekend warriors that can't dive all of the time... or if we have a get together site near some-one maybe they could dive the weekend before and leave a few markers (Painted rocks with numbers) on the bottom and note any land marks near them.... with clues I dunno just rambling on here.

Back
Top Bottom