Underwater Treasure hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmm....I thought that was mine and your job Donna....to be the boat bling...:wink:

There have been alot of divers who have expressed interest in this but are not able to come out and take part in it every week. There are also those who want to shore dive and those who want to boat dive. I have been trying to figure out a way that would allow all three to participate and this is what I have come up with.
Each week, one dive shop will be in charge of the treasure hunt. These dive shops could get publicity on the board and could also advertise in their shops about it. They will hide an object at a popular shore and offshore location. They will also come up with a riddle that needs to be solved that anyone could do from anywhere. It will be a point system. 50 points for finding the offshore object, 50 points for finding the shore object and 25 points for the one who calls into the dive shop first with the correct answer to the riddle. The dive shop could give small prizes for these three winners, like a tshirt, key chain, free air fills, etc. and donate one larger prize for the grand finale. The number of weeks that it goes on would be determined by the number of dive shops willing to participate. For instance, if 5 local dive shops participated it would last 5 weeks and during that time everyone could participate whether they were able to dive that weekend or not by getting a chance to solve the riddle. At the end of the 5 weeks, the team with the most points would win the jackpot(which would be the larger prize each dive shop was willing to throw in......like a free boat trip, piece of equipment anyone could use)
This way, there would not have to be designated teams set up. Anyone could play on any weekend they wanted to. The teams could just be 2 dive buddies to keep it simple and that way the dive shops giving away the prizes could give 2 things(example 2 free boat trips, etc.)
The sites where the markers are going to be hidden could be announced well in advance to give people enough time to make plans to dive those locations but the actual marker not hidden until right before time to make the dives. The riddle could be posted at a designated time each week.

If anyone is still interested in doing this we need to know. The local dive shops will not be interested in participating if there is not enough divers involved.:)

I'll play. I'll throw the idea out in the MBT forum too and see if I can get more interested.

There wouldn't be any costs to the divers unless they chartered a boat to go to the off shore dive site to find that marker. We might could even get the shop sponsoring it that week to give a discount to boat riders for them to take contestants out to the site where they hid the marker for that week.

I would enjoy tagging along with some of the shore divers on this adventure. Guess, I will just watch for further directions.

As long as I don't have to rely on a charter to get me to some clue, I'm in...

I wouldn't count on charters cutting down prices further for some game. They aren't getting any more advertising here than they have already gotten from happy customers posting.

Alright we need a head count so that we can show it to the shops and get them involved so add your name to the list (divers and local dive shops):

seadoggirl
BuPrBuGmAn
philmottrek99and02
ShagMan
BRANDY
denisegg
algulfdiver
Brian (divemaster for Gary)
tom wicker
mwhities
frank420
saltydawg
whitescubawolf
alcrmsntde
Port Tack
Diveral
Dark Wolf
cmufieldhockey8

(remember you don't have to be present every week to participate)

(and yes when all the details are ironed out we will start an official new thread....this is just the idea and planning one, so feel free to continue to make your suggestions and comments):D

Are we a go?? Inquiring minds want to know? I will be down from 6/9 to 6/16 if anyone wants me to participate or help out. I'll be diving with gary for two days and that diveshop not to be named in Pensacola for a day. I'll also get in a couple of shore dives. I'll be staying at Ocean Reef.

AL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom