Considering quitting underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know much about you or your photography, but my suggestions would be (1) to opt for a lighter photography rig (micro 4/3 or 1 inch compact sensor–David Haas loves his Canon compact) and (2) if you do not do so already, make an effort to identify everything you see, and possibly record it online, e.g. by uploading photos to iNaturalist or taking part in fish censuses. Also, if you do not do so already, try to learn more about the creatures that you photograph. And try to find some buddies with similar interests. Listing and identifying can give some a similar adrenaline rush to what you now seem to get from hunting.

This ^^^^^^^

UW photography is hunting at a much higher and finer level. I learned to do my research, understand the different cycles of the marine life peculiar to a dive location, learn to find tiny marine life that NO ONE even thinks about or knows that it exists just to be able to photograph special creatures no one cares about. No spearfisher or "diver" will know that they exist.

TG in a housing with 2 lights is as far as I can go. But I rarely vacation with it.

Lights are a bit much, but they're fun, now that I know how they annoy other divers. Fin kick me, and all your shots are a white glare. Lol.

Booked a house on the west side of FL next year. No diving just snorkeling and beach. Without all the dive gear, I'll pack the camera.

Would like a shot of a manatee.

But yeah, scuba camera is the most overrated piece of gear. You can take pics of things that are already online. Yay.

Mr Chen,

Don't despair or take anyone's comments to heart :) You do whatever you want and I will add some comments since Trilobite mentioned my name and choices.

I also have been reluctant to share personal choices but have done so more the past year. I watched many many divers "chase gear" and be encouraged that "more is better" philosophy and yet wasn't sure folks were enjoying the simple joy of diving :(

I will say underwater hunting as long as you're discerning and eat what you spear or catch is fine. I don't participate but don't criticize responsible hunters.

As to UW photography / videography here's text I posted on www.waterpixels.net with a few pics from my recent Bali trip:

Complete thread with pics: Bali24 Dive trip and thoughts

Farther down thread comments I think fit this discussion:

I sold my Canon G7X II camera for an insane $$$$ as soon as I returned home.

It seems "young Vloggers" think the Canon G7X II (debuted in 2017 for around $650 USD) and the Canon G7X III (debuted in 2019 around $749 USD) are simply the coolest thing going. They shoot what I think are totally unflattering full flash portraits of themselves and friends, but hey, whatever you like is fine with me!

The G7X III added 4K video and couple other features but not Phase detection AF like Sony's RX100 V / VA / VII models.

It seems these Vloggers WOWWED by these little cameras have driven prices up for cameras that are even discontinued !!!!!

I don't have a trip coming up for a bit so can sit and wait until used prices come back down. I've bought and sold cameras over the past 2-5 years and am comfortable with clean used items.

I still own two Fantasea FG7X II housings and Air Lenses and set for whatever my next move is.

I also sold my last Inon S220 strobe to a fellow compact shooter who wanted a 2nd Inon S220. So I'm totally "strobeless". I may shoot only wide angle ambient light B&W or color in my remaining days diving. Or just go diving!

It's been 55 years blowing bubbles and I'm fine with my imaging decision........

Being totally lazy about traveling light and obsessed with my "less is more" philosophy your choices should satisfy you and you alone....

As long as you're enjoying the underwater world I hope all travel and shoot photos or videos if desired) whatever you like too.

I plan on that approach 🙂

DH

I’ll never be in a gallery or a magazine so my phone and Divevolk allow me to snap good enough pics to share with family and friends. Hell, crossroads are groovy. I was big into mountain biking a year or two ago and wanted to try something different that won’t land me in a cast and lo and behold, diving!

Come to Broward and you can use my Divevolk and see how you like it.

... I think most of this has to do with the fact that I've found a group with a private boat, and we focus on hunting. I'm having a blast cruising around on a DPV learning to spearfish. ...
@MrChen,

Have you considered using your camera/video rig (instead of your speargun) with your DPV? IIRC, a former SB regular (Dan Volker) used to do this, but deep (isolation-manifolded Al 80's and deco cylinder), chasing fish off FL. Maybe doing this will allow you to rediscover your love of U/W photography/video.

rx7diver

You have some great gear that is not going to get "less great" if it sits on the shelf for a year or three. However, if you sell your great gear at a discount and buy new gear in 3-5 years it will cost you a lot!

I suggest your pull the batteries from everything, give it a good cleaning, and store it until you are ready to use it again. You might end up booking an amazing trip to the Galapagos or Raja Ampat and get the photo bug again.

BTW that D850 makes a mighty good birding camera too! It's a lot like hunting but you don't have to gut something for dinner.

I don't depend on others but do enjoy diving with likeminded people to find more stuff and share a beer and burger with after the dive. My motivation to maintain the camera, process photos, etc has declined. I spent a week in Roatan and didn't miss my camera at all. I couldn't fathom doing a trip like that without it in previous years.We
We are quite different, cause when I flooded my camera on my 8th dive in Curacao back in...2010? I had my regrets during my next 32 dives there, like "I wish I could take a pic of this!" But it's OK, whatever feels good is good (unless it harms somebody else :))

Dear @MrChen

I think that you should open this for a vote/poll, should you quit or not quit UW Photography!!!!!!!!!

I don't think that you should take things into your own hands :p We are your buddies and thus we should have a say in this matter :)

I say NO to your quitting UW Photography!!!!

. But I'm at a crossroad...
Where we dive, there's an excitement as soon as you press the trigger. Your heart rate increases, your tank starts going down, and you've got just seconds to do everything exactly right or it's gonna be a bad day. And all the cheers, high 5's & stories on the boat are like nothing else. Follow your excitement to go diving !!

Kind of the nature of the internet--if you post your feelings about anything, someone will be there to question them or try to psychoanalyze you even though they know little about you.

I have to say though that your post made me cringe. You want to give up photographing creatures to instead take pleasure from hunting and killing them, which causes them pain and suffering? I'm not trying to start a big debate, but I could never do that; I used to fish when I was a kid, but I've never done it as an adult.
This^^ I prefer to observe the few critters left in the ocean than to eat them. And you're eating all the toxins and pollution they've ingested from the ocean.

Good for you for making the decision to stop photography. Enjoy your diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom