Ultimate Diver Challenge TV Show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, I can agree with you that the show is a little lacking in some of the points you bring up, but what scuba shows have YOU produced?

You do know that this is not a proper argument right?

It is like telling we can't criticize politicians unless we've produced some bills to be passed in congress.

Criticize all you want ;-) No one has walked my shoes...Those that like it....love it and I guess those that don't won't :wink: Either way we are entitled to opinions but without knowing the hard cold facts an opinion does not count. I just ask that if there are any doubts or questions, give me a call and then make and voice your opinions!

You do know that this is not a proper argument right?

It is like telling we can't criticize politicians unless we've produced some bills to be passed in congress.

Sure, I see your point - well taken. But sometimes you have to use hyperbole to get the point across.

I just finished watching the final episode crowning Ed Fink as the "Ultimate Diver". I think that the editing was pretty good, intermixing lots of UW footage of the challenges in with the ceremony. Seems like everyone was having fun, and all the divers respected each other and were very friendly to one another rather than the contrived "drama" you see on other reality shows where people are pitted against each other just to create "good TV". Its good to see that divers are not on such an immature, sophmoric level.

Ya gotta do what TV land wants you to do and meet certain criteria of the hosting network. Even with these "restrictions", I was quite entertained. As a matter of fact, I can't wait to go to Cozumel in May all the more because of the show.

All in all, most of these posts have supported our own, and I'm glad that we finally have a new TV show for Scuba. We need to support our own here.

Yes, at least it's now over.

I DVR'd and watched every episode, although my wife refused to watch after the first episode. I am easily amused, plus... the DVR has a fast forward.

Truly inane chatter. Some very sloppy diving. More chatter unrelated to the u/w scenes. Unexplained underwater exercises, the reasons for which must have been lost on many potential divers who were watching.

IMG_9184.jpg

and the host does a post dive interview where, with fully outstretched arms, he demonstrated its size.

IMG_9183.jpg

Yes, this was the same fellow who critiqued a low-drag harness rig as if he were from the BC Manufacturer's Association.

I see DAN was a sponsor. Some of the contestants were asked about "those DAN tattoos on their necks" In response, the answer was, "Oh, they were free". Money well spent there.

What a mess. But... if it got viewers, if the "call now for dive classes" number got the right number of hits... maybe it will be back. But maybe that isn't important. The participants (many more than we saw) paid serious dollars through the production company to be there. With all the bandwidth, they'll toss anything up. Trading cash and product for commercial inserts is one huge indicator.

For a production that had essentially no costs to shoot, they should have spent a pile more money on post production. It might have saved it.

And yes, I did get the quick-flash subliminal message...

IMG_9162.jpg

...I DVR'd and watched every episode, although my wife refused to watch after the first episode. I am easily amused, plus... the DVR has a fast forward.

OK, if you have watched every episode, how many were there? I set my dvr to record all of them when the re-runs started, and I have grand total of 5 until the "winner" was announced. I feel like I must have missed a bunch somewhere, did I?

OK, if you have watched every episode, how many were there? I set my dvr to record all of them when the re-runs started, and I have grand total of 5 until the "winner" was announced. I feel like I must have missed a bunch somewhere, did I?

VS or DISH messed that up. I deleted a couple episodes until I realized they weren't showing the correct episode #. Many were coming up with 1 and they weren't. I had to reset to record all but it was too late as they weren't repeating shows.

OK, if you have watched every episode, how many were there? I set my dvr to record all of them when the re-runs started, and I have grand total of 5 until the "winner" was announced.

I erased them as I watched them, I read where there were 13 in total. Seemed like less, but so many repetitive images blurred the count. There were entire episodes where literally nothing happened or progressed, even under-water. One episode seemed to be a re-edit of a previous show.

One of the latter episodes entirely revolved around the hoped-for "you're off the island" ceremony which you would expect to have occurred u/w. The island dancers could have waded around and turned off the air of those deemed un-ultimate worthy. That would have been some good TV.

I feel like I must have missed a bunch somewhere, did I?

Yeah, me too, but maybe we didn't miss anything. It was about as disjointed as the Flash Gordon serials of the 1950's.

There was potential. If there was even a hint of explanation as to the "rescue drills", it might have made a good enticement for wannabe noobs. Instead, without any rhyme or reason, the uninitiated were shown divers tossing throw bags at hula-hoops, then they apparently had to find a "victim" and bring them to safety after finding a disconnected BC inflator hose. For most members of SCUBABoard and anyone that had read-up on Rescue Diver, you could see what they were trying to demonstrate. For anyone else, it looked like a series of odd games.

I sat there and really hoped and tried to make some sense of it all. Even when my wife walked away after the first episode, I still watched them all (on the VS television channel) and hoped they would establish some thread of comprehension to explain to eager non-yet-divers why this was fun and what the heck was going on.

I like that diving is on TV, but I much preferred the last goofy (yet similar) attempt when Al Giddings put pneumatic blonde Victoria Secret type goddesses in tight rubber suits and took them for dips around the planet's Oceans.

Take a hint when ordering up the costume for the next UDC Hostess.

Then, you'll have something. :crafty:

Ok the show is over. We now know who the winner is. a lot of people liked the show and then there were a few that did not like it. EVERYONE has a opinion thats okay.

However some are way out there . Roatan man I see you made a remark about the size of the barracuda however you show a picture of the contestant on the wreck. Do you honestly believe there is only one great barracuda in all of Cozumel.

Yes I spent my own money to fly,stay,eat and do extra dives as did 99% of the rest of the divers. The show did not have the backing of the BIG networks or ANY of the dive agencies or manufacturers. WHY NOT??? you will have to call them to find out. I was ashamed that none of the agencies were involved and I made sure I "did" not mention them.

Drama yeah we had drama. In my opinion, it was stupid to drop out or quit, however you are free to quit if you want.

A lot of people worked very hard to make this show happen if you think you can help it improve then sign up as a volunteer or production staff helper. Yes you have to pay your own way just like everyone else, or in my opinion you can stay home and complain

Roatan man you said it (curmudgeon) definition: AN ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions.... and that's your opinion

Life is to short lets try to show our underwater world to the land people
happy diving everyone

There WAS NO SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE ...and once again...misinterpretation of what the real message is....Listen to the words, instead of singling out and snapping photos of the word SEX..It did not stop there!!! I just resent the fact that opinions can be voiced with NO FACTS!!! We were spelling out the word THE SEA....Nothing sexual is in the content! Only if you stop rolling the picture do you make it spell this!!

There WAS NO SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE ...and once again...misinterpretation of what the real message is....Listen to the words, instead of singling out and snapping photos of the word SEX..It did not stop there!!! I just resent the fact that opinions can be voiced with NO FACTS!!! We were spelling out the word THE SEA....Nothing sexual is in the content! Only if you stop rolling the picture do you make it spell this!!

Ummm.... I noticed it every time.

I also have a significant other who would not watch after the first episode. Luckily, I could fast forward and watch an episode in about 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom