Uh oh another one jumps ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little late jumping in, but hey, I just finished moving - its not like I've had internet (or a phone, or home) for the last week or anything.

I have to say, it's sad to see posts like this - so much propaghanda and distortions, so little truth or honesty. To be brief:

1) Global warming - i.e. that the earth is warming - is a fact. That is not conjecture, computer models or anything of the like. We know this as a fact from nothing more then modern meteorological records, which extend back to the mid-1800's. So unless you think thermometers have magically started reading warm over the last 20 years, there is no factual grounds to deny that warming is occurring.

Using proxy measures - ice cores, tree rings, and so forth, we can extend the climatological record back even farther. And while you can try and poke holes in these projections, it doesn't get around the fact that we know the earth is warming from nothing more then reading thermometers.

2) No non-human factors account for the current (1980's - onwards) warming trend. Before the 1980's the earths temperature was pretty much in lock-step with solar output, with the odd blip caused by changes in particulates (i.e. volcanic eruptions). Since then the temperature has increased, even though natural sources of warming have both gone up and down (i.e. 2 short solar cycles) during that period of time. This warming has continued, despite several large jumps in some cooling factors (particulates) which previously would produce cooling.

3) Human factors correlate well with the post-80's warming, particularly the output of CO2 and other greenhouse gases.

4) Computer models have predicted several climatic changes which should occur due to increasing CO2 - i.e. rapid warming in the arctic, changes in rainfall patterns in western Canada/USA and Africa, hotter summers in Europe, etc - and to date these models have done an excellent job of predicting these changes.

And contrary to what others have posted, weather is not climate. Or, in other words, complaining that we cannot predict hurricanes, etc, has nothing to do with climatology, global warming, or anything even vaguely relevant to the discussion of global warming.

5) There are about 15,000 people working as climatologists the world around. Of which 3 or 4 actively believe and promote that humans are not responsible what-so-ever for warming. In contrast, thousands of the remainder actively promote the theory that humans are causing warming, and the "sighlent majority" publish papers which support the human-warming link.

Aside from the small number of climatologists, most anti-warming "experts" are economists, statisticians, and individuals in other unrelated fields.

6) The only thing that matters in science is our publications (I'm a scientist by profession, BTW). Over the past year there has been ~1200 publications in the field, none of which have denied a human connection.

There is also ~100,000 publications on the topic of global warming - and the conclusion that can be drawn from them is pretty clear. We are responsible for global warming. The only real outstanding question is how much we are responsible for. The bad news is that most evidence suggests its "most".

7) Reducing CO2 is not difficult. Just as a personal example, over the past two years I've managed to drop my CO2 emissions by over 50%, and saved a bucket of money at the same time. It was easy:

a) Needed new car, bough cheaper, fuel-efficient car to replace my old truck
b) Replaced most of my lighting with compact fluorescents
c) My fridge broke, and I replaced it with a more efficient model

Those three alone (mostly the first) account for an ~50% reduction in my CO2 emissions, and came at a net saving (reduced car cost and fuel consumption, plus less electricity).

I also just moved (new city, work related). Made a point of finding a place close to work (no need to commute anymore), and have a smaller place. Don't know yet how much of a reduction that'll be, but it should be a bit - and I save yet more money and time.

No need to live like a bum, or live in 3rd world conditions. The only thing being environmentally friendly "cost" me was less money.

At the end of the day, if you're going to fox news, al gore, an oil consortium, or any other sort of special interest group - either pro or anti-warming - you are not getting the real story. Unfortunately, with such a heavily politicized topic finding impartial sources is nearly impossible. And unless you're involved in the field, the scientific papers are nearly unintelligible. Which is why several real climatologists (i.e. scientists who actually do the research and publish the papers) have begun a web project to inform people of what scientists are actually finding, as well as providing forms where anyone can ask questions that the climatologists will answer.

I'd urge anyone active or lurking on this thread to check it out:
RealClimate

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, Good post!

A correction to my earlier post ...Formation of the Great Lakes

As to the arguement of cost vrs risk ...I side with shakey.

Wind-gensets are dangerous to migrating birds, are an eyesore to the landscape and are at best 87% efficient when of course the wind is blowing. Also they require line rectification/correction, transmision and regulation which inturn make the output less efficient; % Z for long line transmission is a function of distance. Drive thrue Banning Ca. and enjoy the mess. Albeit it does contribute to the overall supply of power to the inland empirer ...better than nothing I guess. But try to get a new 500kV transmision line installed anywhere in the USA ...good luck..i.e. get all that wonderful wind generated power to your local substation, then kicked down to your local distribution lines.

Solar is nice but incredibly unreliable for overall kW/H production unless you have storage which again is dangerous to humans and hazardous to the environment. They also are hazards in high wind areas not to mention the energy required to mfg them.

Nuclear is clearly the future of power generation however storing spent fuel is going to be a major problem to solve.
Coupled with desalination plants this is going to be our future.

Great post Bryan. As evidenced by other posts in this thread, as soon as someone proposes making reasonable changes to reduce pollution to avoid the potentially very devastating consequences of climate change, the anti-global warming folks respond with a knee-jerk "So, you're going to force all Americans to give up their cars and live in a caves?" Of course not. There are very practical, cost-efficient ways to reduce pollution right now, and the government should made it a priority to intensify research on even better ways.

And, despite what others have said,
The plain and simple facts are that scientific evidence demonstrates very clearly that human activities are altering the climate, and that it may be possible to halt those changes if we take reasonable precautions that are in our best interest anyway.

Thank you Brian!
Your contribution to this board is priceless.
Yep, too bad we don't have a "thanks" button in this forum.

BTW, compact florescent bulbs have many advantages, but get th daylight - not the yellow light. Much prettier lighting. The bulb may be 10% higher than the other CFB, but worth it, and with what you save on electricity and changing light bulbs, so what.

Yep, too bad we don't have a "thanks" button in this forum.

BTW, compact florescent bulbs have many advantages, but get th daylight - not the yellow light. Much prettier lighting. The bulb may be 10% higher than the other CFB, but worth it, and with what you save on electricity and changing light bulbs, so what.

I hope the figure a way to dispose of the old ones without setting loose the mercury.
Here is California, it is already illegal to toss them in the trash.

I'm a little late jumping in, but hey, I just finished moving - its not like I've had internet (or a phone, or home) for the last week or anything.

I have to say, it's sad to see posts like this - so much propaghanda and distortions, so little truth or honesty. To be brief:

1) Global warming - i.e. that the earth is warming - is a fact. That is not conjecture, computer models or anything of the like. We know this as a fact from nothing more then modern meteorological records, which extend back to the mid-1800's. So unless you think thermometers have magically started reading warm over the last 20 years, there is no factual grounds to deny that warming is occurring.

Using proxy measures - ice cores, tree rings, and so forth, we can extend the climatological record back even farther. And while you can try and poke holes in these projections, it doesn't get around the fact that we know the earth is warming from nothing more then reading thermometers.

2) No non-human factors account for the current (1980's - onwards) warming trend. Before the 1980's the earths temperature was pretty much in lock-step with solar output, with the odd blip caused by changes in particulates (i.e. volcanic eruptions). Since then the temperature has increased, even though natural sources of warming have both gone up and down (i.e. 2 short solar cycles) during that period of time. This warming has continued, despite several large jumps in some cooling factors (particulates) which previously would produce cooling.

3) Human factors correlate well with the post-80's warming, particularly the output of CO2 and other greenhouse gases.

4) Computer models have predicted several climatic changes which should occur due to increasing CO2 - i.e. rapid warming in the arctic, changes in rainfall patterns in western Canada/USA and Africa, hotter summers in Europe, etc - and to date these models have done an excellent job of predicting these changes.

And contrary to what others have posted, weather is not climate. Or, in other words, complaining that we cannot predict hurricanes, etc, has nothing to do with climatology, global warming, or anything even vaguely relevant to the discussion of global warming.

5) There are about 15,000 people working as climatologists the world around. Of which 3 or 4 actively believe and promote that humans are not responsible what-so-ever for warming. In contrast, thousands of the remainder actively promote the theory that humans are causing warming, and the "sighlent majority" publish papers which support the human-warming link.

Aside from the small number of climatologists, most anti-warming "experts" are economists, statisticians, and individuals in other unrelated fields.

6) The only thing that matters in science is our publications (I'm a scientist by profession, BTW). Over the past year there has been ~1200 publications in the field, none of which have denied a human connection.

There is also ~100,000 publications on the topic of global warming - and the conclusion that can be drawn from them is pretty clear. We are responsible for global warming. The only real outstanding question is how much we are responsible for. The bad news is that most evidence suggests its "most".

7) Reducing CO2 is not difficult. Just as a personal example, over the past two years I've managed to drop my CO2 emissions by over 50%, and saved a bucket of money at the same time. It was easy:

a) Needed new car, bough cheaper, fuel-efficient car to replace my old truck
b) Replaced most of my lighting with compact fluorescents
c) My fridge broke, and I replaced it with a more efficient model

Those three alone (mostly the first) account for an ~50% reduction in my CO2 emissions, and came at a net saving (reduced car cost and fuel consumption, plus less electricity).

I also just moved (new city, work related). Made a point of finding a place close to work (no need to commute anymore), and have a smaller place. Don't know yet how much of a reduction that'll be, but it should be a bit - and I save yet more money and time.

No need to live like a bum, or live in 3rd world conditions. The only thing being environmentally friendly "cost" me was less money.

At the end of the day, if you're going to fox news, al gore, an oil consortium, or any other sort of special interest group - either pro or anti-warming - you are not getting the real story. Unfortunately, with such a heavily politicized topic finding impartial sources is nearly impossible. And unless you're involved in the field, the scientific papers are nearly unintelligible. Which is why several real climatologists (i.e. scientists who actually do the research and publish the papers) have begun a web project to inform people of what scientists are actually finding, as well as providing forms where anyone can ask questions that the climatologists will answer.

I'd urge anyone active or lurking on this thread to check it out:
RealClimate

Bryan

I am well aware that climate is not weather. My point was that computer models form the basis of both hurricane predictions and GW predictions and the hurricane experience suggest that such models are not infallible.

And taking thermometer readings for a few years, decades or even centuries will not give a reliable indicator of what will happen in the next ten or fifty years. And exactly where is the earth's "bottom" so we may stick a thermometer and get the single temp of the whole globe? Maybe Cleveland, but I'm not sure. Are you talking lower atmosphere, upper atmosphere, sea temps, land temps? How are you averaging? Do you know that vast areas of the globe have no reliable temperature measuements, even now, let alone fifty years ago?

Climatology is the study of climate over large regions over long periods. As you point out, what happens locally from year to year or month to month is weather. So why are we relying on climatologists to tell us what will happen between now and, say, 2050, or 2100, a virtual nanosecond in terms of climate evolution? Saying what will happen twenty years from now sounds suspiciously like weather and not like climate. But hey, what do I know?

the "Brownian" fluctuation of temperature and climate over such miniscule (climate wise) time scales renders the astoundingly confident predictions of GW advocates suspect.

The pro-GW scientists are virtually guaranteeing the future climate evolution over a period of less than a century!. Yes, I mean "no room for doubt, checkmate, game over, Elvis has left the building, if I'm lying I'm dying" certainty. Don't any of you GW fans have a problem with this at all? Do you trust ANY egghead who is that certain of their future predictions?

Example: if the world's hurricane experts all predicted that a hurricane will wipe out Miami totally next year and recommended that the all corporations located there move their operations out of the city permanently, including their employees, or else face financial ruin...would the corporations do it, or would they think these guys have been so wrong so many times before?

Of course, the track record of climatologists is...oh wait, THEY HAVE NO TRACK RECORD (unless we count their prediction of global cooling in the 1970s).

What has this crowd of obscure atmosphere wonks done in the past to inspire such confidence in you people? When I was doing brain surgery and I recommended an operation, people rushed to the internet or their neighbor to see if I was right. I should have said I was an expert in measuring the carbon dioxide levels in their heads and they would have followed me over a cliff without question. Or perhaps put UN instead of MD after my name.

People don't trust their doctors, their lawyers, their preachers, their spouses, their police, their elected officials, their insurance guy, their plumber or their dentist, but a climatologist speaks and it's Moses reborn. I don't get it.

Gore has figured out the way to deal with people who have opposing views. Silence them. Video here:

Al Gore, Comedian: Media's Global-Warming Coverage Too Balanced | NewsBusters.org

Gore told Meredith Viera on the "Today Show" that "part of the challenge the news media has had in covering this story is the old habit of taking the "on the one hand, on the other hand" approach."

So, allowing the media to present both sides of the issue must stop, as this is simply too important to tolerate such nonsense.

So, allowing the media to present both sides of the issue must stop, as this is simply too important to tolerate such nonsense.
So we should all be sticking up for spare air more in the SB debates to achieve a better balance?

How about jacket BCDs?

Again though - I'm not quite sure what Gore has to do with this. It's not like Gore and GW are one and the same thing, no matter how big his house is.

People either take action or they don't. Using Gore as some kind of excuse for either is simply silly IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom