Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point about dive ops a bit of a non sequitur, but I do not believe that Uber on the island will provide a net increase in jobs and opportunities for the people who live on the island. Options are not necessarily good for everyone; if it comes down to a wrestling match between the established taxi drivers and Uber interlopers, I will side with the taxistas.

Yes, capitalism and competition introduces redundancy and inefficiency. It's the worst economic system there is, except for all the others.

You're looking at it from the tourist perspective and from this view I would agree. Tourists are being economically and efficiently served. I'm not moved by most tourist whines that easily solved by knowing the approximate rates, paying pesos, asking for fare in advance, and not accepting an outrageous fare.

The problems I do pay concern to are those often expressed by the locals who cannot get a taxi to pick them up at non-tourist locations because the drivers all want to serve tourists whom they can charge more. It's the locals that need uber not the tourists.

The problems I do pay concern to are those often expressed by the locals who cannot get a taxi to pick them up at non-tourist locations because the drivers all want to serve tourists whom they can charge more. It's the locals that need uber not the tourists.
On the trans road by puerto Maya I have often seen taxis backed up past 65th waiting hours to get a crack at a tourist

Yes, capitalism and competition introduces redundancy and inefficiency. It's the worst economic system there is, except for all the others.

You're looking at it from the tourist perspective and from this view I would agree. Tourists are being economically and efficiently served. I'm not moved by most tourist whines that easily solved by knowing the approximate rates, paying pesos, asking for fare in advance, and not accepting an outrageous fare.

I agree with the first part of that (capitalism/competition is good, and overall taxis are economical). However:
  • It gets old, as a tourist, having to negotiate to the correct rate. When I was there last week about 80% of the time the taxis tried to charge 3 times the correct rate or more. Either a meter system or a system like Uber (where you know the charge in advance) would eliminate this constant feeling that people are trying to cheat you, and some negative interactions (we had 1 taxi driver get mad when we wouldn't pay 3 times the rate). I've had taxis try to charge even more overage than that when my family was at Chankanaab . I think most tourists would like to avoid this hassle.
  • It's no always so easy for tourists to get cabs away from the main areas either. Even just having a late dinner at a taqueria on Av. Coldwell, it can be difficult finding a taxi afterwards. Also trying to get a van taxi to the first morning ferry can be a bit of an ordeal also. The current taxi system, including their online and phone responses, is not always very consistent. Uber also can help avoid this hassle.
As with in the U.S. and other countries, taxis could have headed off these types of concerns by providing a better experience using modern technology (or even a meter), but they did not.

EDIT: And now seeing footage of Q.R. taxi drivers intimidating families and assaulting tourists, I sure as heck will use Uber next time I am there (which will probably be in the summer, when hopefully this has simmered down a bit).

True, but one of those others is crony capitalism which looks like capitalism but isn't and is definitely worse.

Yes...!!
It gets old, as a tourist, having to negotiate to the correct rate. When I was there last week about 80% of the time the taxis tried to charge 3 times the correct rate or more. Either a meter system or a system like Uber (where you know the charge in advance) would eliminate this constant feeling that people are trying to cheat you, and some negative interactions (we had 1 taxi driver get mad when we wouldn't pay 3 times the rate). I've had taxis try to charge even more overage than that when my family was at Chankanaab . I think most tourists would like to avoid this hassle.
My childhood family traveled to El Paso for a bowl game when I was a youngster, and we took a side trip across the border. I saw a mounted set of bullhorns and asked for the price, then said "no thanks." I then learned about price dickering and how common it is in Mexico. Still got the horns, hanging on my wall now.

But it does get old having to argue over every little transaction around town.

I wonder if the local residents would indeed be better served by Uber than they are now by taxis. Uber will be charging the same fares for everyone, won't they? Uber takes a cut of every fare; how much will that be? Uber requires internet connectivity; how universal is that among the local residents?

Uber requires that their drivers drive their own cars, doesn't it? Do taxi drivers own their vehicles? I honestly don't know. It would make sense if the taxi union financed vehicle purchases and let the drivers pay them back with the fares they earn. Would Uber do that for them?

The devil is in the details.

And of course I am looking at it from a tourist's perspective; that's what I am. I do not, however, just look shortsightedly for what would be convenient for me, which would be to use my Uber app to call for rides and not have to deal with cash.

Personally I think Uber forces modernization of the taxi industry, in a way that the taxi industry would never have done it automatically. I've lived in NY and Chicago pre-Uber days, and taxis were far less enjoyable back then. A lot of drivers refused to go to residential neighborhoods; they were more interested in circling the hotel areas in order to get airport drop-offs. Unwillingness to take credit cards, shabby conditions of cabs, etc, it was not a pleasant experience back then. Things have improved so much today, and perhaps only because Uber forces them to compete at a higher standard.

Personally I think Uber forces modernization of the taxi industry, in a way that the taxi industry would never have done it automatically. I've lived in NY and Chicago pre-Uber days, and taxis were far less enjoyable back then. A lot of drivers refused to go to residential neighborhoods; they were more interested in circling the hotel areas in order to get airport drop-offs. Unwillingness to take credit cards, shabby conditions of cabs, etc, it was not a pleasant experience back then. Things have improved so much today, and perhaps only because Uber forces them to compete at a higher standard.
What was good for New York City and Chicago is not necessarily what is good for Cozumel. They are very different environments.

Uber requires internet connectivity; how universal is that among the locals

That’s funny. Thanks for the laugh. Show me a Cozumeleno without a cell phone. That ship sailed a looooong time ago. What you missed is how many have credit cards to make payment. That’s a much bigger issue.

Reactions: JFS
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom