Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s funny. Thanks for the laugh. Show me a Cozumeleno without a cell phone. That ship sailed a looooong time ago. What you missed is how many have credit cards to make payment. That’s a much bigger issue.
Uber accepts cash in Mexico--or at least have done so in other parts of Mexico.

That’s funny. Thanks for the laugh. Show me a Cozumeleno without a cell phone. That ship sailed a looooong time ago. What you missed is how many have credit cards to make payment. That’s a much bigger issue.
Don't see a lot of credit cards but seem to see a lot of ATM card equivalents and alternate banking systems.

I wonder if the local residents would indeed be better served by Uber than they are now by taxis. Uber will be charging the same fares for everyone, won't they? Uber takes a cut of every fare; how much will that be? Uber requires internet connectivity; how universal is that among the local residents?

I don't think I have seen a local under age 40 or so without a cell phone and cell phones have internet these days.

Does anyone have details on how Taxi regulation works in Mexico? I have heard they regulate the number of Taxis and is it similar to a ‘medallion’ system in the US? I have heard references over the years that some of the leaders of the Cozumel union own large blocks of cabs and the drivers rent them by the shift, if this is so then there would be some very powerful interests who would like to keep the status quo and the actual interests of the drivers would be secondary to keeping the number of vehicles providing rides limited.

The USA has been struggling with this for over a decade and it appears the individual cities and middlemen / brokers were truly screwing the actual drivers for decades.

The Tyranny of the Taxi Medallions - Priceonomics

NYC Yellow Taxi Medallion Crisis, Explained

@El Graduado any chance you could weigh in and provide some background here?

As for "Uber takes a cut of every fare" I bet it's a whole lot less than what is siphoned off by the oligarchs running the taxi industry.

I did not mean to be funny. I don't know that the less affluent residents of Cozumel all have cellphones with internet capability.

As for "Uber takes a cut of every fare" I bet it's a whole lot less than what is siphoned off by the oligarchs running the taxi industry.
I have no idea how those numbers compare.

I did not mean to be funny. I don't know that the less affluent residents of Cozumel all have cellphones with internet capability.

New Maslow Hierarchy of Needs:

Air
Mobile Phone
Food
Shelter
Sex
Self Actualization

I don't know that the less affluent residents of Cozumel all have cellphones with internet capability.
If they have a car good enough for uber, they'll have a smart phone and probably a bank card.

Back
Top Bottom