Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may have a different take on this than others, but IMO if it ain't broke don't fix it. The taxi system on Cozumel is effective at moving people around economically, and it is the result of years of wangling to find the balance point between the interests of the taxistas and their customers. Taxis are an important source of income for many of the people of Cozumel, and Uber, etc. are trying to muscle in and take it away from them, so naturally they are upset. Personally, I have no use for Uber on Cozumel and I would be just as happy if they would stay off the island. YMMV.

I may have a different take on this than others, but IMO if it ain't broke don't fix it. The taxi system on Cozumel is effective at moving people around economically, and it is the result of years of wangling to find the balance point between the interests of the taxistas and their customers. Taxis are an important source of income for many of the people of Cozumel, and Uber, etc. are trying to muscle in and take it away from them, so naturally they are upset. Personally, I have no use for Uber on Cozumel and I would be just as happy if they would stay off the island. YMMV.
Gordon - that ship has already sailed. The same Cozumelenos will be making a living from Uber as do from taxis. With any luck, we'll not be forced to take those stupid vans from the airport in the future. I for one like the idea of getting to my hotel without making multiple stops on the way there.

Uber provides jobs and opportunities as well. What if you only had one choice of dive op on the island? Options are good.

I wonder what is the percentage of private car ownership on Cozumel? Anyone can drive a taxi, but as a practical matter only people who own cars can drive for Uber, and the cars generally have to be in good shape. But it doesn't matter--"that ship has already sailed," as tridacna said.

Gordon - that ship has already sailed. The same Cozumelenos will be making a living from Uber as do from taxis. With any luck, we'll not be forced to take those stupid vans from the airport in the future. I for one like the idea of getting to my hotel without making multiple stops on the way there.
I realize that, but I will not be using Uber on Cozumel as long as taxis are available. I am skeptical that an Uber driver will earn as much as a taxi driver does today. How big a bite of the collected fares will go to the Uber mother ship?

I also doubt that Uber will be picking up at the airport; there are logistical reasons for the present system. The infrastrucure at the airport isn't sufficient to handle the traffic that would generate, and the small cars that most Uber drivers will have would be challenged to carry the amount of luggage that a new arrival to the island will typically have with them. Personally, I have no problem with the airport shuttle system.

Maybe the Uber ship has sailed, but we have not yet begun to see what disruptions it will bring to traffic on the island. Maybe it will be minimal, but maybe it won't. For one thing, that little roadway in and out of the airport would be very easily blocked.

Uber provides jobs and opportunities as well. What if you only had one choice of dive op on the island? Options are good.
The point about dive ops a bit of a non sequitur, but I do not believe that Uber on the island will provide a net increase in jobs and opportunities for the people who live on the island. Options are not necessarily good for everyone; if it comes down to a wrestling match between the established taxi drivers and Uber interlopers, I will side with the taxistas.

For one thing, that little roadway in and out of the airport would be very easily blocked.
Yes it can and they have done it before. A couple years back they did it and the interesting thing I saw was the line police officers preventing any challenges to the blockade.

It seems on the mainland the politicians are unhappy with state department's travel advisory and are stepping out of the shadows.

I for one like the idea of getting to my hotel without making multiple stops on the way there.
Yeah, I like being first stop. :cool:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom