Tying Bolt Snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
Did anybody in this thread mentioned a drop of super glue that should be added to knot?

I think the superglue is optional.

What I have learned is:

1) Get the knots and line as tight as you possibly can
2) the melting of the ends is key. Get a reasonable amount of "end" give it a really good melt until you have a huge blob of molten cave line, and then really jam the lighter into the knot and leave until it's cooled so the end of the line is much bigger than the gap it goes through.

this has worked really well for me.

A soldering iron works perfectly for melting the ends and fusing them to the knot so it can't come undone. They are <$15 at places like radio shack.

The square knot with the extra throw is one I've seen called a surgeon's knot, and we do use it because it locks itself down.

Zipties don't like being twisted at all, and fail pretty readily under that kind of stress.

I've used my soldering iron more for cave line and bungie in the last year than for soldering in the prior 20 :)

rjack321:
A soldering iron works perfectly for melting the ends and fusing them to the knot so it can't come undone. They are <$15 at places like radio shack.

I haven't been so happy with the way the soldering iron works on the thicker line (for stage bottles). I am mechanically challenged though so I could be just messing it up.

c555:
I had also been thinking of using zip ties, is there any reason not to? It seems they are easier to use and less likely to fail. Any thoughts? If there is a reason not too I will just stick with the knot that was posted. Thanks for the help everybody!

It depends on the zip tie. Some use a metal tab to hold the tie, and it can rust and fail. The others use nylon, which won't rust, but isn't very strong on the smaller ties.

I use zip ties to hold the bolt snap on stuff that's already attached, like my ScubaLert (the screechy above-water one), since even if the tie fails, it's still attached to my drysuit hose. I would never use it for anything like a camera that could simply fall off into the darkness.

Terry

Thanks for the help everybody, it seems to me it is better to just stick with a knot because it won't fail if it is twisted. Also, thanks for the suggestion on the surgeons knot and the soldering. And I also recieved my new DSS BP/W today, get to try it this weekend. I will probably post a review here after I try it. Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for the help everybody, it seems to me it is better to just stick with a knot because it won't fail if it is twisted. Also, thanks for the suggestion on the surgeons knot and the soldering. And I also recieved my new DSS BP/W today, get to try it this weekend. I will probably post a review here after I try it. Thanks for all the help!

One thing that can be done to help prevent a square knot from coming untied is to leave enough line to be able to tie an overhand knot snugged down as close as possible to the square knot on both ends before cliping of the excess.

I like the drop of Superglue to finish it off. Just be careful not to use too much, because it will wick down the caveline and end up someplace it's not supposed to(go ahead, ask me how I found that out).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom