Tying Bolt Snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c555

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everybody, I am in the process of converting my gear to DIR/Hog. The next question I have is how do you tie on the bolt snaps to things such as SPG, longhose, or lights? I looked for links but couldn't find any. Thanks in advance!

The one issue I have with the "standard" method is that the square knot is a lousy knot only suitable for shoes and sails. I've heard that some people put a drop of superglue to hold the knot, but I prefer a real knot that won't work itself loose when left to its own devices. I use a hunter's bend, which is more work to tie, but much more secure.

do it easy:
The one issue I have with the "standard" method is that the square knot is a lousy knot only suitable for shoes and sails. I've heard that some people put a drop of superglue to hold the knot, but I prefer a real knot that won't work itself loose when left to its own devices. I use a hunter's bend, which is more work to tie, but much more secure.
The good thing about the standard knot is that as you tighten using the square knot, it tightens the entire line down good and secure. I don't know jack about knots (except some fishing knots), but the hunters bend doesn't look like it would tighten the line as you tie it. Am I wrong?

Thanks for all the help everybody, the links were just what I needed. I get to try my new rig out this weekend, and I can't wait!

Rick Inman:
The good thing about the standard knot is that as you tighten using the square knot, it tightens the entire line down good and secure. I don't know jack about knots (except some fishing knots), but the hunters bend doesn't look like it would tighten the line as you tie it. Am I wrong?
It isn't as tight as a square knot would be, so there is more "play" in the loop. I trade a tight "knot" for a secure one.

Can't say I've ever had a square knot come undone if you follow what they do in the instructions--melt the end of the line and squish it against the knot. The end of the line is now bigger than the hole it came through and won't come undone.

SparticleBrane:
Can't say I've ever had a square knot come undone if you follow what they do in the instructions--melt the end of the line and squish it against the knot. The end of the line is now bigger than the hole it came through and won't come undone.
I have ... then again, I was a lousy Boy Scout ... :shakehead

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've never had a zip tie come undone.

That said (roll tape, boys...) I've just recently converted all my stuff to Cave line.

All of it.

Back up lights, SPG, Regs, etc. All cave line now.

Who knew.

Can Diet Coke be far behind....

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom