DIR- Generic Stage/deco upper bolt snap position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My cave instructor ripped me a new hole after having tanks hang that low
As s/he should have.

Personally I've moved over to a "Nomad" style stage attachment, where the bolt snap opening is held right against the neck of the cylinder with a choker and is attached to a stainless ring held into the armpit via a bungee.
I saw it a while ago and happened to have some spare rings and bungee laying around so decided to give it a go. After some tinkering to get the correct bungee length and position, I'm still using it to this day and am loving it! All you do is grab the ring in your armpit, hook on your bolt snap and let go! Your cylinder is pulled right into the perfect spot every time, keeping it perfectly in trim level along the length of my body.
I know it's not for everyone as I've convinced a couple of buddies to give it a try and they hated it. So each to their own.
But I personally love it and think it's definitely worth trying!

But for any extra stages I carry I use a more traditional position for the bolt snap but still attach them to the same rings in my armpit, the extra length of the bolt snaps not being held against the neck of the cylinder allow them to hang just beneath my main stages and keep everything pretty snug and level

I'll try ro get some pictures to show exactly what I mean but for now here's a video I found on YouTube showing how the main principle works:
Here

Any good photo/video references for proper "hang" length? I would love to think I have my stages squared away but always looking to improve.
Ask a dive buddy to look at your profile. While looking at your side, your dive buddy should NOT see the bottle hanging from the other, hidden side.

If you're in a cave, ask your body to shine the light on you while you're going first. Inspect your shadows. Your bottles should not hang lower than your body, i.e., if your bottle brushes against the bottom, so will your dry suit. There is some wiggle room, of course, but not a lot.

Ask a dive buddy to look at your profile. While looking at your side, your dive buddy should NOT see the bottle hanging from the other, hidden side.

If you're in a cave, ask your body to shine the light on you while you're going first. Inspect your shadows. Your bottles should not hang lower than your body, i.e., if your bottle brushes against the bottom, so will your dry suit. There is some wiggle room, of course, but not a lot.

Wrong thread/forum , asking about DIR

If it were going to be a long dive i would have adjusted my 35/25 deco bottle so it wouldn't ride up. But this was a live drop so we didn't mess around on the surface

Yah Mark Garland taught me that trick.
You must know who he is of you areall dir
lol stumped ‘em all with Garland. I love it.

Moving it to the crotch strap if it’s super floaty is a reasonable technique. Same with putting a heavier bottle on top of the lighter one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom