DIR- Generic Stage/deco upper bolt snap position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol stumped ‘em all with Garland. I love it.

Moving it to the crotch strap if it’s super floaty is a reasonable technique. Same with putting a heavier bottle on top of the lighter one.
Doubt it stumped anyone. The DIR people just gave up trying to reason with increasingly non-DIR suggestions. If you follow DIR philosophy then the front crotch strap d-ring is used for scootering only and otherwise “stowed” by running the crotch strap through it so it doesn’t pose a “snag” hazard. And if you don’t subscribe to DIR philosophy then you’re in the wrong thread to begin with, especially if you’re trying to answer the OP’s question.

Kind of like this

1703648360613.png

1703648401728.png

Doubt it stumped anyone. The DIR people just gave up trying to reason with increasingly non-DIR suggestions. If you follow DIR philosophy then the front crotch strap d-ring is used for scootering only and otherwise “stowed” by running the crotch strap through it so it doesn’t pose a “snag” hazard. And if you don’t subscribe to DIR philosophy then you’re in the wrong thread to begin with, especially if you’re trying to answer the OP’s question.
Do you know who mark is

Ha, see, I knew there would be a reason you didn't like bungee on the other thread because it has a tendency to roll, certainly does in this kind of application.

The bolt snap seems kinda high on the pic, probably works well for a single stage, but might be a bit crowded/tight when you have two AL80s plus everything else on the left D-ring.

Ha, see, I knew there would be a reason you didn't like bungee on the other thread because it has a tendency to roll, certainly does in this kind of application.

The bolt snap seems kinda high on the pic, probably works well for a single stage, but might be a bit crowded/tight when you have two AL80s plus everything else on the left D-ring.
What is “everything else,” I might ask?

What is “everything else,” I might ask?
Back up light, inflator and possibly a CCR MAV.

AJ has also mentioned earlier on about everything else that comes along with the stage, reg, spg...

lol you’re joking right?

Do you know who Mark Garland is? He’s one of the most senior guys on the WKPP, super involved with exploration in Fl and in Mexico. The man knows what DIR is.

DIR training agencies isn’t even a thing. The closest would be GUE and even they’ve got some wacky stuff goin on (rec 3).

No one is doing that thread the crotch strap through the d ring anymore. That’s up there with flat pockets and hand tight second stages.

The bungees do roll and aren't ideal for this application, but they hold up well for long periods of time. These are rental stages that get loaded, unloaded, and dove by people that don't own or care about them. The flat rubber straps are great, but they cut easily when you are stacking 10 of them in a van. Putting them over the handle and pulling them off all the time is great, except they get lost and you find yourself 20 miles offshore with no rigging. There is a reason I do it this way. It is very functional and holds up well over time. Is it perfect, no, but very few things ever are.

As to them being high on the crown, look at the size of the boltsnap. We use larger snaps with dry gloves. With them being longer, you can mount them a half inch higher and the neck will hang in the same place as any other stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom