Looks like a beaver attacked my Atomic 1st stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyBuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok ok, there was no actual beaver chewing on my first stages. Though, that would be an interesting dive tale. But now since you’re already reading this thread, the environmental seals on my Atomics look like they have gotten chewed on by a beaver after being employed for side mount, bailout, and occasional pony purposes. I believe it’s being primarily caused topside when making it to and from the water as the cordage / bolt snap get pressed against the environmental seal. I’ve tried making sure that the tether is positioned as not to hit it but with the amount of moving around and jostling it’s just not practical to prevent it 100% of the time. I’ve also tried adjusting how it rigged but can’t seem to get it to ride where I want and also eliminate the problem.

My question is, has anyone tried to protect the environmental seal somehow?
I’ve thought about using some tire inner tube packed with some additional trilolube or possibly some of the thicker more rigid lose-ish clear tubing with some holes drilled into it.

For the inner tube idea I’m concerned with getting air or water trapped in there and not sold on durability.

For the clear ridged tubing idea, I can’t think of any downsides so long as it’s not trapping any water.

And yes, I have thought, albeit briefly, about just getting different regs that don’t have that vulnerability but I have 4 of them (M1 X 3 and a T2) so the cost would not be insignificant, I really like the way they breathe, and I like that the turret sticks out far enough for the hose to clear the DIN wheel when the reg is deployed.

So can any of you think of some pros and cons to my “solutions” or have any other brilliant ideas for me?

Ok ok, there was no actual beaver chewing on my first stages. Though, that would be an interesting dive tale. But now since you’re already reading this thread, the environmental seals on my Atomics look like they have gotten chewed on by a beaver after being employed for side mount, bailout, and occasional pony purposes. I believe it’s being primarily caused topside when making it to and from the water as the cordage / bolt snap get pressed against the environmental seal. I’ve tried making sure that the tether is positioned as not to hit it but with the amount of moving around and jostling it’s just not practical to prevent it 100% of the time. I’ve also tried adjusting how it rigged but can’t seem to get it to ride where I want and also eliminate the problem.

My question is, has anyone tried to protect the environmental seal somehow?
I’ve thought about using some tire inner tube packed with some additional trilolube or possibly some of the thicker more rigid lose-ish clear tubing with some holes drilled into it.

For the inner tube idea I’m concerned with getting air or water trapped in there and not sold on durability.

For the clear ridged tubing idea, I can’t think of any downsides so long as it’s not trapping any water.

And yes, I have thought, albeit briefly, about just getting different regs that don’t have that vulnerability but I have 4 of them (M1 X 3 and a T2) so the cost would not be insignificant, I really like the way they breathe, and I like that the turret sticks out far enough for the hose to clear the DIN wheel when the reg is deployed.

So can any of you think of some pros and cons to my “solutions” or have any other brilliant ideas for me?

I am trying to envision what you have described. But cannot. Posting up some pictures might help.

I am trying to envision what you have described. But cannot. Posting up some pictures might help.

By popular demand, I present to you a picture of my ravaged environmental seals (The black ring in the middle of the 1st stages).

IMG_1361.jpeg

Well you see something new everyday.

I believe it’s being primarily caused topside when making it to and from the water as the cordage / bolt snap get pressed against the environmental seal. I’ve tried making sure that the tether is positioned as not to hit it but with the amount of moving around and jostling it’s just not practical to prevent it 100% of the time. I’ve also tried adjusting how it rigged but can’t seem to get it to ride where I want and also eliminate the problem.
Are you walking to the water with your side mount tanks already clipped on?

Hmm, the environment seal (right) damage is that all the way around?? With the other trim ring (left) that appears to be an early square hole trim ring. Or was that originally environment seal that now has holes in it from usage?

Maybe trade those regs in for a diaphragm sealed regulator. No funky rubber rings required, and much cheaper to service. (no tribolube fills)

Well you see something new everyday.

Are you walking to the water with your side mount tanks already clipped on?
Side mount and CCR:
On land, no.
On a boat, yes. From my seat to the water and back up the ladder then to my seat.

Pony:
Much less often but it’s clipped in to the water on land and on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom