First Stage Environmental Sealing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But you're a rEvo guy

over-pressure-relief-valve.jpg

I use the expensive ones on my CCR bail out regs.

2 options on this page:

The cheap ones are okay. Just know that it will start to leak eventually and you'll just need to replace it when it does.

I use one of the cheap ones on my drysuit inflator reg (because those should also always have an OPV, if it's a dedicated inflator reg).

I use the expensive ones on my CCR bail out regs.

DGX doesn't even want to sell those cheap ones.....

DGX doesn't even want to sell those cheap ones.....

LOL! Yes, I know. But, they are useful for some things - like my drysuit inflator reg. When I starts leaking a tiny stream of bubbles, I just swap in a new one. At $5, I don't even feel bad about it. They generally last me a few years. (I don't use my drysuit inflator bottle all that much).

I mostly use MK10 or other regs w/o environmental seals.

My process:

- Drop them into a warm water bucket overnight to soak.
- For all bottles other than my primary bailout: charged, off, and isolated with a high-quality inline shut-off valve.
- Yearly rebuild schedule - this is new for me now that I know how to do it

I use an inline shutoff (and an OPV) on deco regs.

Without an inline shutoff, you charge the reg and turn the cylinder off. Then, during the dive, when something hits the purge on the 2nd stage, the line depressurizes and then water can enter the 2nd stage (freely, on an Atomic) and the 1st stage can become loosened a bit on the tank valve.
I have always had my deco or pony bottles pressurized, during dives -- the way I had originally been trained and have little reason to change -- and have never had any issues with either overly-touchy purge buttons and loss of air; the need for aftermarket shut-off or OPVs, or any unforeseen water intrusion, for that matter.

The only regs I have sealed are my Ti and O2 regs. No need to seal any others as it is a PITA and $$

As for using the regs as deco regs and turning the off. I do not.

Thankfully, any cold-water environmental sealing with my more recent regs is completely unnecessary -- and my older regulators, simply involved a rubber cap filled with cheap-o rotgut vodka and not some synthetic designer grease which is a colossal pain in the arse and pocketbook . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom