Two HOURS??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Just got the pre-class e-mail from the Rec Triox instructor. "We will be in the water for two hours at a time, so make sure your thermal protection is adequate. Add layers if necessary."

YIKES!!!!

At present, I'm wearing a layer of heavy fleece under 200g Thinsulate under 200g Thinsulate under a 2 mm compressed neo suit. Water temp is 46, and I'm good for about an hour if we keep moving. Hanging out, doing skills and drills, by an hour I'm cold, and it wouldn't be long to shivering. Further, I'm carrying a staggering TWENTY THREE POUNDS of weight WITH double 85s to wear all that stuff.

Two hours? Two HOURS??? TWO HOURS???????

Anybody remember the link to the heated shirts?

Seriously, I have no idea what to do. Even if the DUI 400g garment is the magic bullet the shop owner wants me to believe it is, mine would have to be custom and there's no way I'd have it by March 9th.

Freeze? Withdraw?

Boy, I thought the swim test had me in a dither.

We use an electric heater. It's made by PATCO and can hook up to your canister light via a quick disconnect or to it's own dedicated canister. PM JeffG for more details like parts numbers, etc. He has one on his suit (I have one but never got around to installing it).

Lay it on the line. Girls need to pee, end of story.

That at least gets you out for a couple minutes (10?), grab a hot drink and get going again.

I was in the water for 2.5 hours in Tech1 (also in March) and over 3 for Cave1. I agree that March is a crappy time to be taking a GUE class in Puget Sound.

I have no personal experience on this one, but Bill Routh at Off the Wall Diver Charters swears by his Weezle suit. He spent 8 hours lifting a house boat that someone sunk. He said water was in the high 30's low 40's and he was fine being in the water for 8 hours. The two guys helping him did not do so well. One lasted 45 minutes wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt under his suit. The other had another brand of undergarment and lasted about an hour and a half. He says it works even when it gets wet.

Might be worth checking into and see what other Weezle folks have to say.

Take the class in summer. Duh.

Better yet, come down here and take it in SoCal!! :eyebrow:

---
Ken

Wow! I'm glad the drysuit I'm getting shortly has a P valve in case I decide to go for that class! Best stock up on the depends! Not a happy situation for female anatomy, methinks...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom