Yet again another undergarment question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nic.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a 4th Element Arctic Undergarment that I pair with my DUI TLS 350 for cold water diving. Local conditions get down in the mid and low- 40's in the winter. In these temperatures, I'm warm the first 15 minutes of a dive and start to chill after that; after 45 minutes to an hour in water I'm shivering and uncomfortably cold. I've layered a Hot Chilli's thermal base under it, but still need something more. Im a lean female and tend to get cold easy.

Unfortunately the headed undergarments and the crazy 400g fleece $600 suits are out of the budget. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to layer on top of or below the Arctic to stay warm? Ive been looking at some of the vests, but aren't sure of their effectiveness? Anyone tried the 4th Element Xerotherm or a less expensive alternative to layer under? My Arctic fits me pretty snug; there wouldn't be a lot of room for much more fabric under it.

We got called out to a dive last week in the snow and 39 degree water temps and I absolutely froze, I'm ready to get something to help keep the chill out a bit more!

Thanks in Advanced,

I'm using the 4th Element J2 base layer as my only under layer, (18-20C) and it is really warm on its own. Not sure how that will work for your temps.

Have you considered electric heating options? Some of them are cheaper than 600$ especially when you get a good deal on eBay etc

Are you using the Arctic Expedition, or just the Arctic? For Great Lakes and other cold water diving (38°F-45°F) I wear a base layer (usually Patagonia Capeliene mid weight) , a heated vest, Xerotherm, and Halo 3-D. I started my 4th Element collection with Halo 3-D, went on a scooter ride in 42°F Water and froze. The Xerotherm base layer makes a big difference. FWIW, I just used Arctic for the first time last week. I was in Mexico and the water was 75°F+ and our daily in water time was about 3 hours. The Arctic was a plenty warm for that. YMMV.

Are you using the Arctic Expedition, or just the Arctic? For Great Lakes and other cold water diving (38°F-45°F) I wear a base layer (usually Patagonia Capeliene mid weight) , a heated vest, Xerotherm, and Halo 3-D. I started my 4th Element collection with Halo 3-D, went on a scooter ride in 42°F Water and froze. The Xerotherm base layer makes a big difference. FWIW, I just used Arctic for the first time last week. I was in Mexico and the water was 75°F+ and our daily in water time was about 3 hours. The Arctic was a plenty warm for that. YMMV.
Just the Arctic, not the Expedition one. Maybe I'll start with the Xerotherm under the Arctic and go from there? Is the Halo the one with the rigid panels? Wow, 75 degree water in the Arctic, I think I'd be waay warm!

do you have enough room in the suit to get more fleece to layer on top of the arctic?
Yes- sorry if I phrased that confusing. There is room in the suit, just not much room under my current undergarment.

Just the Arctic, not the Expedition one. Maybe I'll start with the Xerotherm under the Arctic and go from there? Is the Halo the one with the rigid panels? Wow, 75 degree water in the Arctic, I think I'd be waay warm!
I was plenty warm in the Arctic in Mexico. Yes, the Halo 3-D is the superhero looking suit.

The new 4E X-core vest and a good base layer might help.

I'm preparing to order a J2 base layer and an X-core vest for myself. I like the idea that the X-core would help me stay warmer without adding any bulk to my upper arms which would make it harder to reach my valves.

Those that recommended the J2- what's the main differance between that and the Xerotherm? On 4E's website they say it's super antimicrobial, but how does it compare in warmth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom