two for tea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Over the past few years I have seen a fair number of divers (especially on deep dives) carrying a "back-up" computer. What is the general concensus--do most of you guys carry a back-up? Is it one of your old ones that you replaced or a new one?

FYI, when we dived with the Maui Dive Shop they put a computer on every diver and each person's profile was logged post-dive. I, being somewhat synical, assumed that that was for legal/liability purposes, but it was interesting to compare to my personal computer because they were different brands; they agreed to ca. 5%.

Joewr

Joewr,

Well I can't speak for all Divers but I know alot do carry two computers , especially on deep dives because if one computer does fail at depth, then your sol on decompression time and dept...granted you should figure your dive out manually and know how long to stop for decompression. I carry two computers just for that reason...One fails you have a second one logging your dive. I think its more of a safety issue. As for the Maui Dive shop putting a computer on everyone is somewhat a liability factor for their company. I'm sure they just use it to have record that they didn't exceed the limits of a certain type of diver. Like you wouldn't want to take a OW certified diver deeper than 65 ft. and so on... I hope this answers your question and if anyone thinks i'm wrong..I might be, but please do tell.

Aardal

Hey joewr,

If the dive exceeds 100' I take an extra computer (my son's since he is not allowed past 60'). However, I almost always have another Depth guage and spg attached to my pony. Just the way I dive...

Did I ever xplain redundancy? Did I ever xplain redundancy?

Pete from Orlando...

Thanks! I learned that redundancy is when your kids get old enough to not have to ask you for money! However, in England it means you are out of work!

At any rate, I think a spare computer is in my future...but my scuba diving son is 31 and can go below 60', so the dive shop owner has one more payment towards his Porsche on the way!

Joewr

I have been diving on computers for over 10 years and have logged more than 400 hours on them. I dive with an Oceanic Datamax Sport (my first) and a Suuton Vyper (my new one). The Oceanic is my backup, except on nitrox dives. I am looking at getting another Nitrox computer for backup purposes and ditching the Oceanic. I have not decided if an air integrated would be better or not. As Public Safety Diver, I would like to be able to know my pressure in the air tank in a variety of visibility conditions and an air integrated computer where one can set the air remaining alarm would be nice without being able to see it. though I don't know how much I trust an air integrated computer just yet. So, for now I'll stick with my two non-air integrated computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom