Bringing two SPGs on trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex_Garland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using my current Scubapro SPG for going on 8 years, ~250 dives, and it still works fine. I have two dive trips coming up, a resort at Little Cayman and a liveaboard (Aqua Cat) in the Bahamas, in which I'm looking to enhance my redundancy. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to purchase a second SPG in case the first one fails.

I'm considering this model here, which is similar to my current SPG, except that this one measures depth too:

So my first question: Is carrying a second SPG a common practice among SB divers? (Not to WEAR two at a time on dives, but to have a second SPG in your luggage in case the first one fails on a dive trip in a remote location where it cannot be immediately repaired.)

Also, if I were to purchase a second SPG, are these generally ready to be hooked up right out of the box, or do they need special testing and/or other work (e.g., o-ring installation) before use?

I'm shopping for a new dive computer with AI, so if I go down that route, carrying a second back-up SPG in my luggage might seem like overkill. But I'm curious to see what people here think.

Thanks,
AG

I carry a full set of: 1st stage, 2nd stage, SPG, and their hoses as spares. I can use them or help out another diver. If there is a problem, I can quickly swap out the offending part to keep diving. Later, I can look into fixing the issue at the end of the day or after the trip.

If you want to bring a spare, fine, but you can get a plain SPG for $60 plus the cost of an HP hose. It should come with the little spool which goes between the hose and the gauge.

If you want to bring a spare, fine, but you can get a plain SPG for $60 plus the cost of an HP hose. It should come with the little spool which goes between the hose and the gauge.

A great money-saving observation. Does anyone know recommended brands for HP hoses?

Get them (hoses, or maybe even a gauge) from Randy at Prianha Dive.... Great prices...

When we travel as a family, we bring one complete spare reg set for the three of us. Travel with a group, the same...

No reason for everyone to bring everything....

Are you on the trip with folks you know? Figure out a contingency plan....

Repair? Nope, either rent or replace (buy)...

Get them (hoses, or maybe even a gauge) from Randy at Prianha Dive.... Great prices...

When we travel as a family, we bring one complete spare reg set for the three of us. Travel with a group, the same...

No reason for everyone to bring everything....

Are you on the trip with folks you know? Figure out a contingency plan....

Repair? Nope, either rent or replace (buy)...

I assume you meant Piranha Dive, right (Piranha Dive Manufacturing, for all your diving needs.) Thanks for the tip, their prices do look reasonable.

I usually dive with my local dive shop in D.C. (Blue Planet SCUBA), so yes, there are usually at least a handful of people I know, including the trip organizers. Indeed, this type of contingency planning would be a good thing to bring up at our pre-trip happy hours/zoom orientations.

I purchased my Scubapro SPG's (brass and glass) new in 1987 and 1988. They continue to work perfectly--even though I use them without their rubber boot.

Still, there's always the chance that an SPG might malfunction or get smashed. So, I take a second complete reg + gauges with me when I go diving--you know, so that I have a spare first stage, spare 2nd stage, spare SPG, and spare hoses.

I often dive two complete regs on a Y-valve when diving with a single cylinder. So, more things to break. So, having a complete spare reg + gauges increases the odds of having a fun dive trip. (Applies to diving baby doubles, too.)

rx7diver

Nothing wrong with having spares / backups. I typically travel with an extra regulator set that I can steal hoses, SPG, or first or second stage from if I have an issue.

Consider purchasing a spare HP hose in addition to a spare SPG. Perhaps I am just incredibly unlucky but the hoses are generally what fails for me. They fail at the crimp or the start leaking from the outer liner. A lot of my brass/glass SPGs are ~20 years old.

EDIT: Additional info
No special parts or testing needed. Just try to keep salt water from getting into SPG. keep it in a plastic bag. When you install a new one you will also want to also install new SPG spindle/spool and lube the o-rings.

Best to keep a few of these in your save-a-dive kit

Same as @davehicks - I carry the spares in my DGX reg bag.

Same as @davehicks - I carry the spares in my DGX reg bag.

Just out of curiosity--don't think I'm ready to go that far with redundancy just yet--for those of you who carry spare 1st and 2nd stages, do you get those serviced at your local dive shop as often as you do your primary regulator set-up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom