Bringing two SPGs on trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of curiosity--don't think I'm ready to go that far with redundancy just yet--for those of you who carry spare 1st and 2nd stages, do you get those serviced at your local dive shop as often as you do your primary regulator set-up?
I do keep an extra full reg set with me. I generally don't get my regs services unless one if below is true:
- I've purchased used Regards I dont know the history off
- the regulator checklist found on here indicates a need to do so

That applies to all my regs.

I do keep an extra full reg set with me. I generally don't get my regs services unless one if below is true:
- I've purchased used Regards I dont know the history off
- the regulator checklist found on here indicates a need to do so

That applies to all my regs.
Yep, they get serviced as needed. I do inspect, measure, and test them before travelling with them. I bring them with me on all my local dives as well, and i dive every week.

Go air integrated. All the info you need is right there on your wrist.

I carry a spare wrist computer on me while diving and in my tool/parts kit is a spare transmitter and old fashioned SPG.

Plus other gear that goes beyond your question.

My weekly dives I have a small LDS in my truck with me. Spare tanks, reg set, spare computer with integrated QD hose, spare fins, fin straps
spare drysuit seals, wet gloves, dry gloves, extra weight... I don't drive to a site only to go home because something miniscule broke. I think I even have a couple snorkels behind my back seat that I don't use, but they're there if someone wants it.

I run one transmitter and one spg.
I was certainly relieved to hear that those who dive with transmitters, at least on this thread, were largely willing to carry analogue back-ups.

From Shearwater, on its transmitters: "This device will fail. It is not whether it will fail but when it will fail. Do not depend upon it"

Not a bit of hoser equivocation there; have to hand it to the Canucks for that, eh?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 7.41.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 7.41.27 PM.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 41
I was certainly relieved to hear that those who dive with transmitters, at least on this thread, were largely willing to carry analogue back-ups.

From Shearwater:
I dive with 2 AI computers off 1 PPS transmitter. I have a backup SPG. I have had the transmitter fail once with a flood due to the overpressure valve. I needed the SPG on that dive.

I do not carry a extra SPG but carry a couple of spools. I have replaced 2 spools of mine over almost 13 years, have never had the hose or SPG fail. The main use of the spools over the years has been to help other divers, who have no clue to why their SPG is leaking.

I have replaced 2 spools of mine over almost 13 years, have never had the hose or SPG fail.
And yet, on my first dive trip after my OW certification, the gauge console (yes, this was 1989), the brand new TUSA unit I had purchased from Divers Supply in Macon, GA (pre-internet - took stamps, forms, paper checks, and envelopes to order it) bubbled on my first dive... Big bubble at the 1st stage fitting crimp.

DM/Dive Operator said "chill, it is okay, you will live..."

It lasted the week until I got back from San Salvador, and got it replaced before the next time I dove...

I have been using my current Scubapro SPG for going on 8 years, ~250 dives, and it still works fine. I have two dive trips coming up, a resort at Little Cayman and a liveaboard (Aqua Cat) in the Bahamas, in which I'm looking to enhance my redundancy. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to purchase a second SPG in case the first one fails.

I'm considering this model here, which is similar to my current SPG, except that this one measures depth too:

So my first question: Is carrying a second SPG a common practice among SB divers? (Not to WEAR two at a time on dives, but to have a second SPG in your luggage in case the first one fails on a dive trip in a remote location where it cannot be immediately repaired.)

Also, if I were to purchase a second SPG, are these generally ready to be hooked up right out of the box, or do they need special testing and/or other work (e.g., o-ring installation) before use?

I'm shopping for a new dive computer with AI, so if I go down that route, carrying a second back-up SPG in my luggage might seem like overkill. But I'm curious to see what people here think.

Thanks,
AG
I just had one broken by a ferry crew, having a spare in my save-a-dive kit let us keep diving…

I had a "helpful" hotel guy assist me loading gear from my car to take up to a hotel room. He grabbed my 40cf pony bottle with regs installed and dropped it right off a luggage cart. Smashed the 2nd stage body and the button SPG. Guess why I always carry a spare reg set now???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom