Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:catfight:[c]
duel.gif
[/c]

Don, I love you dearly for all you do on SB, but you're the one that kept stoking it. How many posts you got in this laborious thread?

Essentially, there is nothing to discuss as there are no "facts" other than the short TV spots and press releases than the two divers issued.

Yet you were part of the coal stoking the flames of irrelevant discussion. Kind of like Seinfeld- it's a thread about nothing.

Methinks you like the "catfighting" you decried above. Meow! :monkeydan

We have gotten some good tips and hints out in the open, so I do thank you for that,

but don't :catfight: me, DandyDon Daddy-O :wink: The reaction is very natural. An esoteric discussion devoid of facts does breed emotional responses.

I know these people, what you are proposing is impossible. FYI, taking an empty plastic bottle UW and making a noise with it is one technique for attracting reef sharks, comes from Micronesia, I believe. Maybe that was the reason they took a water bottle with them. Just a thought. But, to imply that these people did this on purpose... impossible. I have worked with them, it wouldn't happen.

Thanks Scuba John - good to see some people with first hand knowledge of these guys speak up for them.

I have been following this thread with some interest, and I have to say there really is some crap on here.
I too know the Guy from this couple and have dived with him on a couple of occasions, I have also unfortunately seen first hand his management of a serious incident involving a friend that got DCI (later to be diagnosed with a PFO) The manner in which this incident was dealt with was faultless, his care and support during this was outstanding. This is not a man who would purposely and needlessly endanger himself and others.

As for the theory that taking water on a dive means that they planned it... Hello!!! Come on, I dive with a friend who religiously takes a survival kit in his BC pocket on every single dive no matter where he is. It contains a hat, drinking water, sweets and some other stuff. Are you telling me that if he was to get lost and survive you would accuse him of planning it because he took a survival kit.

Oh and the other one a thick wet suit was that, well this guy has been diving in tropical waters for years now, when we dived together in Thailand I was in a 3mm and shorties with hood and he was in a 5mm. How can you say that because a diver wears a thick wet suit they have planned to get themselves lost. What a croc of *&#$.

Surely we should be taking lessons from this situation and congratulating them on their management of themselves not attacking them when we don't honestly know all of the facts and are just speculating.

The attitude of some of the people who have posted on here is really shameful. I just hope those who have attacked this couple never have to experience something similar.

I will certainly be taking some lessons and investing on some additional bits of kit due to this incident.

Hear! Hear! Vix, thank you. I am not sure what to say as they have been dragged over the coals here, but the whole thing is silly. These are not the people to plan something like this - and I would say that from what we know about the incident here whether I knew them or not. They appear to have done nothing wrong except survive.

I wish the dive shop would chime in, but they probably can't because of legal reasons at this point. I am looking forward to sitting down with Rich over a beer in Phuket this fall (hopefully he will be back working on the Queen Scuba again since I get nothing and I mean nothing but fantastic comments about his performance) and listening to his side of the story and laughing at all the rumors and gossip that has flown around.

On another note, I am in the US now and I have not seen any of these interviews on TV. Can anyone tell me what programs they have been on, and are there links on the web? I am not having much luck finding them, though there are a couple on YouTube.

It can still be a case of saving face. It is possible the couple disregarded instructions from the DM and or dive leader thinking they knew better. This may have been the cause. Once caught in current or surfacing too late with a combination of a late SMB... IMO this should be a consideration. People have difficulty admitting when their wrong, especially if they should have known better based on experience.

This in no way is a slam on anyone involved. Just speculation on my part.

AZ

Last edited:
Hear! Hear! Vix, thank you. I am not sure what to say as they have been dragged over the coals here, but the whole thing is silly. These are not the people to plan something like this - and I would say that from what we know about the incident here whether I knew them or not. They appear to have done nothing wrong except survive.

I wish the dive shop would chime in, but they probably can't because of legal reasons at this point. I am looking forward to sitting down with Rich over a beer in Phuket this fall (hopefully he will be back working on the Queen Scuba again since I get nothing and I mean nothing but fantastic comments about his performance) and listening to his side of the story and laughing at all the rumors and gossip that has flown around.

On another note, I am in the US now and I have not seen any of these interviews on TV. Can anyone tell me what programs they have been on, and are there links on the web? I am not having much luck finding them, though there are a couple on YouTube.

John, I posted several links to the interviews a few pages back...just read back.

This in no way is a slam on anyone involved. Just speculation on my part.

AZ
More speculation...!
party-smiley-017.gif

Could not resist.

:) Plausible though... no worries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom