Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey DandiDon !!! Check it out : my 4th post .... wooohoooo nothing compared to your 25 000 but then again I get out of my house ....

Like I have said before I believe there is something fishy (pardon the pun) as I know Ally, and would not be surprised...

Now, in her defence, I have to say something on the wetsuit subject, I have dived quite a few times with her, and her kit on all dives, in warm thai waters, included a lycra suit under a thick wetsuit (4 or 5 mm) and a hoodie , so this does not surprise me.

But obviously the rest of it does surprise me, water bottle, no SMB before dark, etc...

I hope the truth comes out, and a smart move for them I believe would be to donate all the money made by that story to the Aussie lifeguards ... and I'm not aussie, but next time I dive in Australia, I would like to get proper help should anything happen too...

Jim

Hey DandiDon !!! Check it out : my 4th post .... wooohoooo nothing compared to your 25 000 but then again I get out of my house ....
Ho ho ho. :mad:

25,000 posts does not qualify me for anything, but rare and especially new posters are sometimes viewed with caution. Don't let that bother you; keep at it.

heres the post.. apologizes to dscottflanders if they decide to post here as well

cheers

http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18445&whichpage=8
Posted - 28 May 2008 : 11:13:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I have been a supporter of this site for a long time and have great respect for the people on here, some of whom have emailed me personally, I am going to clear some things up here for you all.

At risk of being hunted by the media again and stuck in my house for 48 hours ....... these divers were staying with me in Townsville when this nightmare happened. I was the one who had to take the horrendous call that they had been lost at sea and meet them at the hospital.

So to stop all the rumour and inuendo I can confirm the following for you ...

1. They DID surface 200m from the boat in very strong current
2. They IMMEDIATELY deployed the SMB and started trying to signal the boat. The SMB is a "Buddy" SMB and approx 1.5-2m long. Orange on one side and yellow on the other. They also had whistles which they both used.

3. They DID NOT have a bottle of water or Shark shield (this is just ludicrous) and do not own one. (There is no obvious need in Thailand ). As they were EXTREMELY dehydrated when they got to the hsopital .... the so called "bottle of water" they have been accused of have did them no good.

4. Their wetsuits DO NOT have hoods and they were not wearing hoods on the dive, I know this as the wetsuits are still downstairs in my garage. His a 7m, hers a cutom made 5m. These are the wetsuits they always dive in no matter what the water temp. They were wearing the same wetsuits as were pictured in the picture were they are standing on Alma Bay at Magnetic Island. (This pic has been in the papers). If you look at this - there is no hood on either suits. Allyson was wearing a neoprene bonnet (to keep her hair off her face) that has a strap under the chin. PIC http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05/27/article-1021799-01607F8700000578-528_468x353.jpg

5. Rich was not wearing gloves, Allyson was wearing my TUSA gloves as she had accidentally left hers in Thailand.

6. They ARE NOT arrogant or boastful. They are VERY safety conscious and are not cavaleir.

7. They DO have photos of throughout the ordeal (these were released to NBC last night)

8. The have not been paid $1m / $250k or anything of the sort. There were no deals. see Rescued divers' deal revealed | The Courier-Mail

9. The suggestion they planned this is just ridiculous. NO DIVER would put themselves in this position with the risk of never being found.

I hope this has cleared up some of the tales. The reason that this all started is because they simply did not want to do a press conference ... therefore the local media assumed they had sold their story.

None of you have any idea what they have been through and most of us fellow divers could not even fathom it. While its just a story to you, please give these people a little respect, this nightmare is real for them. ... and the media nightmare is even worse.

Thank you both. The pic linked...
[c]
ea5se9.jpg

[/c]

sorry for the joining hassle on my local forum but its because the spammers were getting out of hand

in the meantime, from a regular called Matty Hampster Diver

http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18445&whichpage=8
Can you please tell me how you can confirm this, were you there? did you see them, if so why did you not pick them up?

If they did surface 200 away why did they walk over the F$%^ing reef and back to the lagoon.

BTW my log books shows about 30 dives at that location, and seriously if they did surface any where near the lagoon they so badly subsequently ******ed they deserve ever bit of condemnation they get.

So please explain how you know this and if you are correct why we should think any more of them than they are a pair of sad muppets at best

Just so you know my own experience include standing on said reef waiting to be found one day, so I really do know what I am talking about

Matthew

So please explain how you know this and if you are correct why we should think any more of them than they are a pair of sad muppets at best

Muppets is more of that Aussie slang.

Mentally Unstable People PADI Eventually Trains

M.U.P.P.E.T. ........ tip o' the hat to MarkUK for that one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom