Question Two different part numbers for Atomic main spring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiznutaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
I've found two different part numbers for the Atomic main spring. 21-0574-00 and 21-0570-00. Anybody know if there's a difference between the two?

@Wookie will have the definitive answer. :-D

In the meantime, looking at a couple of schematics I see the:
21-0570-00 listed in the ST1 schematic.
The 21-0574-00 is listed on the T2, T1, T1X, B2, Z2, Z1, M1 schematic.

@Wookie will have the definitive answer. :-D

In the meantime, looking at a couple of schematics I see the:
21-0570-00 listed in the ST1 schematic.
The 21-0574-00 is listed on the T2, T1, T1X, B2, Z2, Z1, M1 schematic.
Yep, the 21-0570-00 also comes up on the T2X schematic. I don't have a T3 schematic, but I'm betting it's on it too? Basically the "newer" model regs as far as I can tell changed to the 21-0570-00, but have found 0 info on if there was any function change or for what reason there was a change.

Attachments

• T3 DIN First Stage.pdf
    521.8 KB · Views: 119
  • T3 Yoke First Stage.pdf
    558.5 KB · Views: 94
At home, too sick to do homework-see attachments.
Well that confirms that the spring part number changed starting with t2x and continued. Still wonder if it was only a number change or if something about the spring that changed.

There was a rare failure incidence. The metal was changed and all new springs are etched with an alphanumeric on one end.
It was recommended at a seminar a few years ago that springs below Nxx (where xx is a number) should be replaced. No recall, just an advisory.

There was a rare failure incidence. The metal was changed and all new springs are etched with an alphanumeric on one end.
It was recommended at a seminar a few years ago that springs below Nxx (where xx is a number) should be replaced. No recall, just an advisory.

Very interesting, thanks! Curious why there wasn't a recall then if there is a incidence of failure and they recommended the springs replaced. It must have been an exceedingly rare incidence and I'd assume there is a large number of them still in use with the old spring. Still, the new spring is relatively cheap, so might as well put it in my next rebuild then.

Sorry, I don’t get alerts.

AFAIK, there were very few spring failures on the older atomic regulators. I have first stage number 37 (BA ????? 037) which failed. My wife has number 145, which also has a spring fail. Both failed by rusting through.

I have owned 20 T1’s and about the same number of M1’s. Those were the only 2 that failed, they were both sealed, both had thousands of dives at failure.

It’s not something I would be overly concerned about unless you are doing hundreds of dives between 3 year overhauls.

Sorry for hijacking this post. Recently came across an older Atomic Z1. It's the first time I see a main spring corroded and collapsed. Gonna replace it by the updated spring.

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_215343.jpg
    IMG_20240225_215343.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 18
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom