Atomic Comfort Swivel hose onto a Poseidon XStream or Jetstream...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.”
– Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Original engineers at Poseidon and Atomic Aquatics...

Attachments

• Adaptor collar to Atomic swivel 2.JPG
    Adaptor collar to Atomic swivel 2.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 81
I wish they make the swivel independent of the hose so that one can buy it for other regulators and not to have to toss it away when switching the hose.

Was thinking about this Poseidon swivel issue over the past few weeks, there's just too many variables to be certain the Atomic Comfort Swivel conversion parts will work with ALL Jetstreams or XStreams.
I still think its bore diameter-to-spigot related, will continue to measure and collect data... just because it's bugging me!

In the meantime, I kept on refining my own design.
Engineering drawings completed and fully toleranced, sent RFQ.
Eliminated two parts and two o-rings, improved gas flow at extremes of swivel travel, with a more rugged, compact and streamlined OEM appearance. It's what Poseidon should have developed with Atomic years ago :D

The photos show how 'warm' the nickel finish is vs the more blueish chrome of the Atomic parts, but under daylight in real life the difference is minimal. Chrome plating tends to build up on sharp edges of the threads and reduce clearance so I didn't want to complicate the already complex tolerancing issues!

My Poseidon to Atomic Comfort Swivel hose adaptor will fit:
Jetstream 1978 - current
XStream 2002 - current

Any Atomic Swivel hose OEM or Universal (gloss chrome, 316 stainless or Titanium) will connect without additional parts.
Just remove the OEM end collar, fit a -017 o-ring and it screws right on.

The Scuba Clinic Tools splined collar tool fits both OEM Poseidon and my adaptor, useful to get a secure grip when finally tightening up the swivel hose.
It is always good practice to service a second hand Comfort Swivel hose before use, check the spherical cupped Swivel Washers and replace it if scored or in any way not mirror smooth. O-ring -016 70 Duro seals the swivel ball and must always be replaced and well lubricated.

The bright nickel finish suits the regular chromed Atomic hoses, and the satin nickel suits the 316 stainless steel and Titanium hoses.
A small sample run of parts just arrived... CNC machined from Naval Brass for strength (0.8% tin) and corrosion resistance.
Bright or satin nickel finish.

All assembled and tested perfectly, no leaks!

Just the Atomic Swivel hose conversion parts will cost US$39.45 (02-251-00 US$24.95 + 02-254-00 $14.50) and some OEM adaptor configurations may leak as outlined earlier.

I have a limited number of my new Poseidon adaptors for sale at US$75 + postage, won't recoup my costs but it will help.
Will assess demand for a larger run too. 316 Stainless, Titanium or Black PVD options?
Staples not included :wink:

Attachments

• Poseidon Atomic swivel adaptor bright.jpg
    Poseidon Atomic swivel adaptor bright.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Poseidon Atomic swivel adaptor satin.jpg
    Poseidon Atomic swivel adaptor satin.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Poseidon Atomic swivel adaptors overview satin and bright.jpg
    Poseidon Atomic swivel adaptors overview satin and bright.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Poseidon Atomic Swivel Hose Adaptor.jpg
    Poseidon Atomic Swivel Hose Adaptor.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 80
If you dive Poseidon and can get hold of a used Atomic Comfort Swivel hose, this is a MUST HAVE ITEM!!
I think the Atomic Swivel is the best engineered swivel made today. Being able to use it with my Jetstreams and XStreams with @Fibonacci 's adapter is fantastic!

Will DM my order shortly.

Here's an exploded view and parts list for the standard Atomic Universal Comfort Swivel hose, the OEM schematic is a little unclear.

When servicing a second hand Swivel hose, pull back the rubber Strain Relief, and use the crimped end of the hose to push the captive swivel washer out of its seat to expose the reverse end of the swivel ball. This area is often neglected and needs cleaning.

With my adaptor, the two o-rings (-010 and -014) are not required, nor are the Insert (02-0254-00) and the Swivel Housing (02-0251-00).

Lubricate the swivel ball and a new -016 o-ring lightly with Tribolube 71 or SuperLube.
Check the Swivel Washer for scoring or wear and replace if necessary (comes with the OEM swivel hose service kit)
Lubricate and insert a new o-ring -017 around the recess in the threaded collar of the adaptor.
Hold the outer fluted surface of the Poseidon adaptor firmly and tighten the hose securely.

The SCUBA Clinic Tools wrench fits both the OEM 9/16" hose adaptor and mine for the most secure, non-marring grip.

Attachments

• Atomic Comfort Swivel Hose Exploded View V1.JPG
    Atomic Comfort Swivel Hose Exploded View V1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Atomic Comfort Swivel Hose Exploded View and Parts List V1.pdf
    111.4 KB · Views: 101
I've got an appointment with the shop in three days to see if we can make this work with new crimped ends.
But while I was gathering my Comfort Swivel hoses together, look what I found!
View attachment 774537
One of the hoses had some sort of double connector.
View attachment 774539
It was reverse threaded, and when I unscrewed it, it turned out to be a hand-wrenched 3/8" connector!
View attachment 774542
I cut ten inches off, wrenched it back together and I'm now the proud owner of a 22" Atomic Comfort Swivel necklace hose!
View attachment 774540
Does anybody recognize this fitting?
did you ever figure out the source for this fitting? I've got 4 or 5 swivel hoses laying around in lengths that we don't use. I'd love to make some short hoses....

Nope! Still looking. I found a place in Britain that had a two piece screw on fitting, but again, not right size.

My source has the hydraulic crimper, but no ferrules for 14mm hose. If I can find those, he'll crimp them.

Still looking...

Rob was that UK place narked@90?
LP hose diameter not specified, annoyingly...

Or the Trident OS-HRKS Hose Repair Kit?
Suits 5/16" ID hose but no OD mentioned.

Attachments

• Trident LP hose repair kit OS-HRKS.jpg
    Trident LP hose repair kit OS-HRKS.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 62
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom