Atomic Comfort Swivel hose onto a Poseidon XStream or Jetstream...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Atomic parts arrived from the US, just updated my XStream with the swivel hose... a bit longer hose suits my setup.
Fitted to Jetstream octo to show how it looks.
A BIG improvement over the standard Poseidon hose!
Immensely cool -- a full spit-take of aquavit, right across the keyboard! Thankfully, I have long quit smoking.

It is strange that Poseidon hadn't really pursued swivel connections to second stages, with the exception of the short-lived Triton, whose design allowed for a smooth, multi-axis movement and was quite fun to dive -- though the mount remained integral to that 2nd; mounted on the bottom, and could not be used for anything else. They produced any number of LP and HP adaptors for hose routing, over the years; and I still have a few of those aftermarket OmniSwivels for Jetstreams and Xstreams.

Being unfamiliar with Atomic swivel hoses, would you consider your fix a vast improvement over that of OmniSwivel? It does look absolutely great; am definitely interested if you could somehow market that fix -- though I am a bit concerned for your personal safety.

There may be a speeding Volvo -- sporting a PBS and smarmy "Coexist" bumperstickers, and maybe even a little yellow fish being pronged by a trident -- with your name on it . . .

Attachments

• F0A0322E-610A-43B3-8200-C3217B869CCD.jpeg
    F0A0322E-610A-43B3-8200-C3217B869CCD.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 95EEBD75-3FDA-41EA-9E3D-C8D8E1FC8E3E.jpeg
    95EEBD75-3FDA-41EA-9E3D-C8D8E1FC8E3E.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 76
I always found the OmniSwivel a bit clunky, didn't look integrated and the exposed fastener was an immediate NO from me.
So the Atomic swivel hose just seemed like such an obvious combination of 'form and function' which particularly suits the XStream.
I'm surprised Poseidon didn't approach Atomic and offer them as OEM fitment... it is indeed a vast improvement!

While the two parts listed earlier convert an OEM Atomic swivel hose to a Universal style, I could design an even more integrated and compact adaptor which will bring the whole assembly closer to the Poseidon hose adaptor and negate the need to shorten the hoses.
Watch this space...!

There may be a speeding Volvo -- sporting a PBS, a smarmy "Coexist" bumpersticker, and maybe even a little yellow fish -- with your name on it . . .
Will keep an eye out and avoid a dunk in a frozen lake followed by a good Viht birch twitch thrashing :wink:

Would something like this work?
I heard back from Narked at 90 and the fitting is designed for 12.5-13mm OD hoses with approx 6mm ID.

So this looks problematic for Atomic.
I'll keep looking for someone with a crimper.
:(

This is what I mean about the Omniswivel looking a bit clunky... Silver Anniversary (not mine)

Attachments

• Jetstream Silver with Omniswivel.jpg
    Jetstream Silver with Omniswivel.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Jetstream Silver with Omniswivel detail.jpg
    Jetstream Silver with Omniswivel detail.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 84
This is what I mean about the Omniswivel looking a bit clunky... Silver Anniversary (not mine)
Wow, that's clunky!

You really should have said something!

I've found a shop that is willing to crimp on new ends, and says they can handle a 14mm OD hose.
Pretty soon, I might be sporting an Atomic Comfort Swivel on my 22" necklaced Jetstream.
Not to mention my Atomics.

More to follow if this works out.

I've got an appointment with the shop in three days to see if we can make this work with new crimped ends.
But while I was gathering my Comfort Swivel hoses together, look what I found!
20230314_222703.jpg

One of the hoses had some sort of double connector.
20230314_222211.jpg

It was reverse threaded, and when I unscrewed it, it turned out to be a hand-wrenched 3/8" connector!
20230314_221942_1.jpg

I cut ten inches off, wrenched it back together and I'm now the proud owner of a 22" Atomic Comfort Swivel necklace hose!
20230314_222731.jpg

Does anybody recognize this fitting?

The Atomic swivels are just worlds better than the OmniSwivel.

They do not swivel as far, but the hemisphere design can become any angle but it does not just go to that angle. It requires making it that angle.

I wish Atomic made them in a swivel around 120 degree design for underarm usages.

Quick important update...

After testing a lot more OEM Poseidon hose adaptors from different eras, it seems there is a bore ID tolerance issue with some, meaning that the -010 o-ring on the Atomic 02-0254-00 Insert can leak. Haven't tried the XS Scuba or DGX ones.
As a backup, a -013 o-ring must be installed at the base of the 9/16" UNF thread, there is already a recess in part 02-0251-00 which provides correct preload.

I am now finalising the 3D CAD modelling of a custom Poseidon to Atomic adaptor that will address all of these tolerance issues, have fewer parts and also bring the hose in closer for a more streamlined appearance.

I am now finalising the 3D CAD modelling of a custom Poseidon to Atomic adaptor that will address all of these tolerance issues, have fewer parts and also bring the hose in closer for a more streamlined appearance.
Wow, I take back what I said about you . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom