Atomic Parts Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just heard from my shop that Atomic parts costs have gone up 50% recently.
Are you ready for this one?
HP seat (Jet Seat) 01-0018-00 retail is now $18!!
I think 1st stage kits will be over $40. Maybe that's to justify the supposed cost of the seat?
Insane.

Scubapro Mk25 HP Seat is around $3.50 - 6.00.
Aftermarket Mk5/Mk10 seats are $4.

Between this and the recurring theme of Atomic's corroding Monel parts, some of the shine is coming off this brand for me.
20210127_161459.jpg
20210127_162343.jpg
20210127_164000.jpg
20210127_171237.jpg

I love mine! But when I can fix a Mk5 for $5, and a Deep6 for less than $20, I'm wondering what the next service bill would be for my T3.

So glad I sold mine and switched over completely to Deep 6! The same performance at a lower initial cost and lower maintenance costs. That is a win for me!

I own MANY Atomic regulators with several that are 12 - 25 years old including T2 and M1's, B2, ST1 and Z2's and I have never found them to cost more than what other brands cost. In fact, they are the least problematic and cost much less than other brands to service and/or to keep working in perfect condition.

The Mares, Cressi and AL cost more to keep working since they require more frequent service/overhauls than Atomics. More IP and other issues with the other brands where at the same time I have never had any issue of any kind over the 25 year period with Atomic. No issues with monel parts. I am very active diver and do many of dives per year and use Atomic regulators in my dive school's training/rental fleet (primarily Z2's). I have taken the Mares and Cressi regulators out of my dive school's equipment fleet because of higher operational costs, performance issues and requirement for more frequent service compared with Atomic and SP regulators. I track my costs very carefully. I should also add that the Atomic regulators are outstanding best performers.

I own MANY Atomic regulators with several that are 12 - 25 years old including T2 and M1's, B2, ST1 and Z2's and I have never found them to cost more than what other brands cost. In fact, they are the least problematic and cost much less than other brands to service and/or to keep working in perfect condition.

The Mares, Cressi and AL cost more to keep working since they require more frequent service/overhauls than Atomics. More IP and other issues with the other brands where at the same time I have never had any issue of any kind over the 25 year period with Atomic. No issues with monel parts. I am very active diver and do many of dives per year and use Atomic regulators in my dive school's training/rental fleet (primarily Z2's). I have taken the Mares and Cressi regulators out of my dive school's equipment fleet because of higher operational costs, performance issues and requirement for more frequent service compared with Atomic and SP regulators. I track my costs very carefully. I should also add that the Atomic regulators are outstanding best performers.
Well, if you ever move back to the US, you can switch over to Deep 6 which has the same service cycle, and service kits at half the price. I'm sure @LandonL would be more than happy to train you on how to service them. You'll save money! :)

Yikes!

I though that the Swedes were costly . . .

Missed this thread. I LOVE Atomic regs, but $40+ for a 1st stage parts kit is exaggerated. This is not unique to Atomic though, all brands have gone up, and manufacturers have to wake up. It has gotten to the point where it makes sense to use cheap "disposable" regs instead of servicing regs, but that makes me sad.

I sometimes am tempted to go back to SP Mk2/R-series and use generic parts, as an affordable workhorse alternative...

Just heard from my shop that Atomic parts costs have gone up 50% recently.
Are you ready for this one?
HP seat (Jet Seat) 01-0018-00 retail is now $18!!
I think 1st stage kits will be over $40. Maybe that's to justify the supposed cost of the seat?
Insane.

Scubapro Mk25 HP Seat is around $3.50 - 6.00.
Aftermarket Mk5/Mk10 seats are $4.

Between this and the recurring theme of Atomic's corroding Monel parts, some of the shine is coming off this brand for me.
View attachment 752903View attachment 752904View attachment 752905View attachment 752906
I love mine! But when I can fix a Mk5 for $5, and a Deep6 for less than $20, I'm wondering what the next service bill would be for my T3.
I guess SP passed the crack pipe to AA. Seems all the big players have been puffing of late.

Kits cost what they cost, DIY and you won’t need them as often.
Plus with a company like Deep 6, you know they won't raise prices on service kits unless they absolutely have to.

Yes I think the companies that raise the prices like that underestimate the effect of the small but vocal group of divers that switch to affordable regs. The whole "Apeks revolution" in the 1990s was driven by cave divers and made that brand. Then Apeks raised prices (was it ever cheap in the US anyway?), and now it seems Deep6 is taking the market by storm. So trying to make a few extra % on the bottom line by raising kits prices (making parts and training hard to access), drives away the serious divers that then influence others.

Back
Top Bottom