Two Cruiseboat Passengers Rescued after Fall off Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably wouldn't work well with a thong, either.

Or nothing at all. :wink:

Michael

DandyDon:
Seems like I was taught that with trousers at one time, don't know what she might have been wearing. Don't think it'd work with shorts or a skirt would it?

LOL. I doubt it. But jeans and button up shirts and blouses were the easiest to inflate. All you had to do with the shirt was button it up to the neck, lay on your back and shovel air into it and float. Jeans you had to take off and tie the legs up. Lifeguard trainees who wore skirts didn't have to do a thing. :eyebrow:

This incident also shows how hard it is to find people at sea. Other passengers saw them go over the side and raised the alarm immediately. It took 5 hours to find them using the ship's boats.

In a rescue I was involved with, there were two guys on a hatchcover somewhere inside a triangle of 3 ships about 1.5 miles apart from each other. Even with that small of a search area, it took a coast guard helo nearly an hour to find one of the guys. The other guy was never found.

Surface signalling gear is an integral part of my dive gear, and it always comes with me, no matter how simple the dive.

Me, too, Charlie - since before my first dive trip, every dive - dress rehearsals, the real show - okay, maybe not the Cenotes.

Whatever the couple may or may have worn, rule #1 for any seagoing craft is don't fall off. I've stayed a hotels with inside walkways that would be have easier to fall off. Reenacting that scene from the movie was just not a prudent move; it's easier to lose your balance in the dark, and I doubt that Colorado natives are typically experienced at balancing on the rail of a moving ship.

Jcsgt:
Probably wouldn't work well with a thong, either.

A thing will get the attention of a coast gaurd ship or hellicopter.

I am thinking of bringing a thong along on all my dive trips just in case:wink:

**Don, feel free to get this thread moved to wherever you want. Hopefully not the trash bin, because i find it entertainging and thoughtful. Red Cross required us to float with our clothes in the pool for badges, too...in the 80's:D

ohhh the memories. Maybe celeste was notpaying attention that day? Who knows.

PalatkaBoy:
LOL. I doubt it. But jeans and button up shirts and blouses were the easiest to inflate. All you had to do with the shirt was button it up to the neck, lay on your back and shovel air into it and float. Jeans you had to take off and tie the legs up. Lifeguard trainees who wore skirts didn't have to do a thing. :eyebrow:

Were you one that wore the skirt?:11:

:no :rofl3:

emmmmmmmmm..maybe she had plenty of augmented buoyancy?Being a trained lifeguard,she would have known???lol!

SmokinReefer:
Everyone knows they met, got drunk, fell in love and then tried to re-enact that scene from Titanic......

At least thiis is what my better half says. And the more I think about it, she's probably right. Her being right obviously has nothing to do with what really happened though. She's just always right....even when she's dead wrong......and life goes on with me always being wrong.:)

As long as I can accept my "perceived" place in this relationship I will be fine.....Know what I mean men?

Smokin

:rofl3: The two most important words in the English language, "Yes, Dear"

Flatliner
aka Lori's Husband

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom