Two Cruiseboat Passengers Rescued after Fall off Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then if you don't survive the crash, it was your time shortly after the pilot's time.

Michael

ummm...."co-pilot"

and

"i can learn to fly and land the mother @^%#^%, too, you know"

shooot, if samual jackson can deal with snakes on a plane, I know I can deal with learning to fly and land one.

A spring break to remember, no doubt, for Little Rock native and 2005 Mount St. Mary Academy graduate Clarice Partee. Currently a student at the University of Colorado, 20-year-old Partee was a passenger on the mega-cruise ship Grand Princess when she and a male companion fell overboard in the middle of the night on March 25.
Reports say the ship was about 125 miles off Galveston, Tex, when Partee and Air Force Academy cadet Ernesto Guzman fell about 80 feet from an exterior balcony into the Gulf of Mexico. According to friends, the pair was attempting to re-enact a scene from “Titanic” at the time.
Partee and Guzman treaded water for around five hours before rescue boats dispatched from the ship and a Coast Guard helicopter finally located them. Partee suffered a broken rib and debarked at the first port stop in Mexico, while Guzman — who was recovered naked, apparently having used his trousers to aid flotation — was treated for jellyfish stings and finished out the cruise.
Clarice Partee is the daughter of Little Rock and Magnolia businessman Cal Partee Jr., and the granddaughter of the late Magnolia oil magnate Cal Partee, whose horse Lil E. Tee won the Kentucky Derby in 1992. Attempts to reach the Partee family for comment were unsuccessful. Other national media have been hot on the trail of the story of the rescue in choppy seas, but have also been unable to run down Partee, said in some news accounts to be a lifeguard. (Source: Arkansas Times)

Guzman — who was recovered naked, apparently having used his trousers to aid flotation — was treated for jellyfish stings and finished out the cruise.
Well finally we learn that he knew the trousers trick - and had some on. Kinda ruins the story, but the truth wins.

Note to ship passengers: Don't do the Titanic scene - it's still stupid. How man have feel that way now?

They are lucky they were not really re-enacting the Titanic scene at the bow. They would have been chum.

It is a miracle that they were not pulled under the ship and chopped up as it is. They had to have been pushed clear by a wave. Drop something down the side of a ship and see what happens.

maj75:
They are lucky they were not really re-enacting the Titanic scene at the bow. They would have been chum.

It is a miracle that they were not pulled under the ship and chopped up as it is. They had to have been pushed clear by a wave. Drop something down the side of a ship and see what happens.
Yep, indeed. I see the height they dropped has increased to 80 ft in some reports now. 50 or 80, you know that they had to hit hard, gone kinda deep in an unprepared state, and incurred some turbulence at least by the passing vessel. Surviving that fall alone is impressive and they did well with their treading/drown proofing - 4 or 5 hours in the dark, hoping all is not lost.

Looks like it was their last date, tho. She flew home but he continued on the cruise. Sounds kinda cheesy, but I bet he had his options from some of the gals onboard. :eyebrow:

maj75:

I have many a time on a 11,000 ton US Navy cruiser. The bow wave pushes "Oscar, the man overboard dummy" well off to the side of the ship.

Charlie99:
I have many a time on a 11,000 ton US Navy cruiser. The bow wave pushes "Oscar, the man overboard dummy" well off to the side of the ship.

But it somehow sucks in every coconut right under the ship :rofl3:

Cheers :D

Mike

Back
Top Bottom