twin 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
It is interesting. I do want to go and try it out. I will try it without regulators on, though, of course.

Leave the regs on and charged... just take your plate and wing off.

SparticleBrane:
Perhaps what we were getting at is that the CYLINDERS are positive, but perhaps not the whole setup. :wink:
Besides, that 200psi adds another 0.8lbs, literally. :)

Exactly.

I had mine down to 100 the other day and they still went down. That was in a pool. I try not to do that when I'm diving. :wink:

Do you want to know about the other thing... or can you guess?

...?
The "other thing"?

If you're talking about the thread that Diver Dennis posted, he helped me already. :)

When Al80's get down to 3 or 400 psi they push your head down... because... the manifold and regs are heavy while the butts are light. It's not a lot... but it is enough that you have to 'think' about your trim and you have to make some adjustments in your leg/arm positions to stay horizontal.

Oh, BTW, in case you are wondering... Luxfer SO80s 3000 psi 77.4 cuft twinned with Highland bands, Halcyon manifold, and DS4 regs. Standard stuff. No boots or other wacky stuff.

*jealous*
<--wishes he had that setup. :wink:

Diver Dennis:
This must be Chris Crash... ya think?

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

SparticleBrane:
J-valves I truly believe are crap. Ever filled a tank using a J-valve? Make sure it's open, cause if it's not...

Crap? You have no knowledge of such things as J-valves. I have well over 1000 dives using them, without failure, or incident. You must have a working knowledge of your gear, regardless of it's age, or function. To label a J-valve as junk, even after it has been used SUCESSFULLY for millions of dives spaning many wears shows the mind set of a 20 year old, with little experience under his belt. I supphose you believe the RAM to be junk as well. Too bad you missed out on some great gear over the years, even worse, you bash it without having a clue.

I've filled my fair share of J-valves, thanks. None of them had been well maintained in their long years so their operation was not that smooth. I much prefer today's valves. Too many people dove with the J-valve all the way open, so when their air was out, they thought it was time to move the reserve thing--thus they ran out of air.
My mindset is to dive with the safest gear possible, and a J-valve does NOT fit that bill. Much better designs have come about since then. Try not to belittle me just because I might be a bit younger than you--everyone has something to add.

To be honest, I have no idea what this "RAM" thing is that you're speaking of...guess I'm too young and ignorant to know :rolleyes: . However, to make light of your post, I'll say that being in Electrical & Computer Engineering, I rather like RAM. :wink:

Relax, dbg. I don't think any offense was intended. If you still use 'em, then that's fine. But surely, even you would admit that J valves aren't NEEDED any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom