twin 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so that means they're 6 pounds positive when empty, if Al80 doubles. I suppose that they will then be offset by a SS backplate, the manifold, and the bands. Good enough for me...:)

hunter991:
Not sure who chris cash is? Mind filling me in? Seems like an interesting story.

Brent

Chris Crash was on here about 3 months ago, same grammar and ideas about diving. Wanted to do it all right away. He just signed on after I had mentioned his name in this thread.

jonnythan:
Double 80s are most definitely positive when empty. Throw an empty single 80 into the water and watch it float.

They do make good doubles, but when you're already wearing a bunch of lead, adding a second Al80 means you have to add even more lead.

Jonnythan... I know you have a set of AL80s. Next time you are in the pool breath 'em down... then take off your plate and wing. Leave your regs on. Hang on to 'em 'cause they're gonna sink.

Stephen Ash:
Jonnythan... I know you have a set of AL80s. Next time you are in the pool breath 'em down... then take off your plate and wing. Leave your regs on. Hang on to 'em 'cause they're gonna sink.
I've floated a number of Al80s in my day :wink:

Are you saying to leave the plate and wing attached to the 80s? Of course they'll sink, they have 8 pounds of hardware (plate + bands + regs) attached to them. The tanks by themselves most definitely float, though.

SparticleBrane:
Ok so that means they're 6 pounds positive when empty, if Al80 doubles. I suppose that they will then be offset by a SS backplate, the manifold, and the bands. Good enough for me...:)

It is surprising but... the manifold, regs and bands are enough negative to sink twin AL80s in fresh water... and sink 'em pretty good. I'm not positive but in salt I believe they will be darn close to neutral.

There is something else about this, too.

jonnythan:
I've floated a number of Al80s in my day :wink:

Are you saying to leave the plate and wing attached to the 80s? Of course they'll sink, they have 8 pounds of hardware (plate + bands + regs) attached to them. The tanks by themselves most definitely float, though.

No plate... just the manifold, band and regs.

You are right... SINGLES float... valve down, butt up.

You guys don't have to believe me. Do it yourself and see. You're gonna say, "Huh... they do sink... wierd."

I was surprised as heck the first time I did it. Now, it's like a bar trick. I bet my buddies a beer that they will sink. They laugh. I blow my doubles down to 1 or 200, take off my plate and wing and watch my friends' puzzled look as the set sinks... with some authority, I might add.

I never would have guessed that a manifold and regs would be that negative... but they are. I would guess that they make an empty set about 2... maybe 3 pounds negative in fresh. I haven't tried it in salt but I would guess that it would be real close.

It is interesting. I do want to go and try it out. I will try it without regulators on, though, of course.

Perhaps what we were getting at is that the CYLINDERS are positive, but perhaps not the whole setup. :wink:
Besides, that 200psi adds another 0.8lbs, literally. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom