twin 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
Relax, dbg. I don't think any offense was intended. If you still use 'em, then that's fine. But surely, even you would admit that J valves aren't NEEDED any more.

I whole heartedly agree, there have been fantastic gains in diving gear technology. And in fact, I have many thousands of dollars invested in some very nice gear.. I took issue with the blanket comment, condemning gear because it is used improperly by, people not trained in it's use. And, the manner his comments were delivered. I learned on such equipment, and dove not only safely, but had much fun in the process. The RAM I refered to is the Royal Aquamaster. And is one of the finest, most dependable and bullitproof regulators I have ever owned. I learned on it more than 30 years ago, and still bring it out to play when I want to just have fun on a dive, leaving 7'hoses, heavy doubles, drysuits, BPW's and all the other wonderful technology in the gear room. And to date, I have never forgotten to check to make sure the lever is up.

SparticleBrane:
I've filled my fair share of J-valves, thanks. None of them had been well maintained.

And this is the fault of the valve?

However, to make light of your post, I'll say that being in Electrical & Computer Engineering, I rather like RAM. :wink:

In all fairness, I never said you were stupid, only ignorant of the condemnation of gear you have no history of use with.

i found my doubles valve
fe_1.JPG

double al80s one neutraly bouyent version i know i lose some of the reasons of having doubles but i just have them for extra air for cleaning boat bottoms right below the surface

edited

okay... "the 5 W's".
who makes it.., where did you find this, yadda yadda. I havent seen anything like this since I left the Army almost 10 years ago! I would very much appreciate it if you where to share the info.

Stephen Ash:
Relax, dbg. I don't think any offense was intended. If you still use 'em, then that's fine. But surely, even you would admit that J valves aren't NEEDED any more.

I use j-valves on my LP72s to go along with my other vintage gear. I don't have a RAM yet, but I do have a 2 DA Aquamasters, a Voit Trieste, a Nemrod SnarkIII and a Healthways Scuba Deluxe.

Other than vintage diving, j-valves could proof usefull in a zero viz commericial application where surface supplied air is unavailable. If you can't read your gauge, its nice to have a reserve.

For the most part I agree they are no longer needed, but they are not crap if properly maintained. The problem is most of them are 20+ years old. Many are out there that have not been serviced in years, and may suffer from a lack of available parts if serviced. I'd bet today's valves will show similiar wear and tear if not serviced in decades.

I would however advise the OP to have the valve serviced at a shop familiar with them during its next VIP (or sooner).

SparticleBrane, I was right with you until you trashed the j-valve. While one could reasonably conclude the OPs tank might have a j-valve with a less than stellar service record, that doesn't make them all bad. Several other good points though.

dbg40, do you have a round or square label RAM?

Stephen Ash, thanks for the lesson on twin AL80s. I always thought of them as corks, and dismissed them as useless. Sounds like they may make for a good warm water set up.

scubadiver56, thanks for the interesting and entertaining thread. One word of advise, don't dismiss the comments on grammar. It might not seem that important at your age, but it will become increasingly so as you grow up.

robway034:
okay... "the 5 W's".
who makes it.., where did you find this, yadda yadda. I havent seen anything like this since I left the Army almost 10 years ago! I would very much appreciate it if you where to share the info.

I'm guessing US divers Ebay special.

ClevelandDiver:
I use j-valves on my LP72s to go along with my other vintage gear. I don't have a RAM yet, but I do have a 2 DA Aquamasters, a Voit Trieste, a Nemrod SnarkIII and a Healthways Scuba Deluxe.

Other than vintage diving, j-valves could proof usefull in a zero viz commericial application where surface supplied air is unavailable. If you can't read your gauge, its nice to have a reserve.

For the most part I agree they are no longer needed, but they are not crap if properly maintained. The problem is most of them are 20+ years old. Many are out there that have not been serviced in years, and may suffer from a lack of available parts if serviced. I'd bet today's valves will show similiar wear and tear if not serviced in decades.

I would however advise the OP to have the valve serviced at a shop familiar with them during its next VIP (or sooner).

SparticleBrane, I was right with you until you trashed the j-valve. While one could reasonably conclude the OPs tank might have a j-valve with a less than stellar service record, that doesn't make them all bad. Several other good points though.

Stephen Ash, thanks for the lesson on twin AL80s. I always thought of them as corks, and dismissed them as useless. Sounds like they may make for a good warm water set up.

scubadiver56, thanks for the interesting and entertaining thread. One word of advise, don't dismiss the comments on grammar. It might not seem that important at your age, but it will become increasingly so as you grow up.

Both, one of the originals (square) I learned on, and a later round label. I am proud to say that I also have an anniversary gold as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom