TUSA Reg Service Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex_Garland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I could use some advice from owners of TUSA regulators, though comments and questions from everyone are welcome.

My reg setup, a TUSA first stage and octo and Oceanic primary, are in the shop right now for annual servicing. I last had a full service done in September last year, complete with replacement parts, rebuilt from scratch, etc. on all three stages. Since then I've done four dive trips, 23 dives total, with no performance issues. My regs have been solid all six years since I bought them, with about 140 logged dives with them. I've been servicing them regularly. I switched shops last year.

The shop contacted me today to remind me that TUSA recommends full service every year, as opposed to most other manufacturers who recommend full servicing every two years with annual inspections in between. The shop owner asked me if I want to do the full service or just the annual inspection this time. For TUSA owners who do the full service every year per instructions, TUSA provides free replacement part kits. After factoring in the shop's labor costs (cheaper for inspection), the difference in total cost between full service and inspection would be negligible. I asked if full service instead of inspection would make me significantly safer underwater, and the shop owner was understandably reluctant to offer a firm opinion, though we did discuss some variables involved in making that determination.

The rub here is that shortly after dropping off my regs, the shop announced what looks like a fabulous diving trip to Cabo starting on November 6, for which I promptly signed up. I asked about the timing involved with both options, and they told me that an annual inspection would be quicker, but they felt pretty certain they could do the full servicing within three weeks. However, the latter would involve waiting for parts in the mail from TUSA, so there are x-factors and no guarantees with that estimate.

I am a bit worried about doing full service so close to a big trip, because the LAST thing I want is to be without my regulators when I go to Mexico and have to rent others. Assuming there's no significant difference in risk of regulator failure, I'm leaning toward an inspection instead of full service . . . unless other TUSA consumers or experts here think that's unwise?

Eager to hear your thoughts on the matter. Thanks for reading!

Never ever service regs within three months of a trip or
unless you can afford to buy a new set the day before

You seem to have plenty of servicings in credit

Should be good for about ten more years

If I were your LDS, I would take the regulator in from the customer and do my best to get the parts in and do the full service before the trip. If the parts didn't show up on time, I'd do a quick check to make sure that all is OK and give you the regulator back to use on your trip and then take it from after the trip to do the full service with the parts in from TUSA. I won't charge for the quick check if you come back for the full service right after the trip (or charge you for it and then give you full credit when you bring it in for the full service).

The most likely way to cause your regs to have a problem on the trip is to take a fully functional set of regs and get them rush serviced before a trip.

Honestly just wait until you get back.

It takes all of an hour and a half to service a 1st stage, primary, and octo. If I'm taking my time. My usual turn around on regs I know are coming is 48 hours unless they arrive on a Friday where I'm diving that weekend. Then they get done on Monday.
Unless the IP is out of spec and the seconds are leaking, I advise my customers not to send me their regs before a trip. If they want me to just go over them I will, but any time you rebuild a reg, there is a chance that one of those brand new o-rings or a seat will fail.
Usually, I rebuild then after bench testing, take the reg to the pool and dive it for an hour or so. Even then, it should be used on a couple of easy dives locally before relying on it on a big dive or trip.
Oh, and those "free parts" that you get. They aren't. You paid for them on the front end for most brands.
And they aren't free if you are paying for labor to replace parts that didn't need replaced. The one making out is the shop for that 10-15 minutes it takes to rebuild a second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom