TUSA Reg Service Question, Follow-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings,

A couple of years ago, SCUBABOARD users were very helpful in answering a question I posted about annual service on my TUSA regulators:

I would like opinions on a more general question. TUSA offers free part kits for regulators that receive a full overhaul (rebuilding) every year. My local dive shop in D.C. has been servicing my regs for the past 3 years. Based on my discussions with them over my current invoice, we've determined that based on TUSA's free parts offer for annual servicing, I can go one of two ways going forward: 1) either get full service every year as TUSA recommends, which would amount to $294 (2 years total, parts, labor, and taxes), or 2) get full service every other year, with just an inspection in off years, which would amount to $254.

Since the price different between these two service plans is not that much, I would prefer to follow whichever plan is preferable from a safety perspective. Does anyone have a strong opinion about whether it is safer to perform full servicing every year, or every other year? I would think that full service every year would make for a less likely chance of mechanical failure. But in the above thread, someone mentioned that "any time you rebuild a reg, there is a chance that one of those brand new o-rings or a seat will fail," which is a bit unnerving--and counter-intuitive.

Assuming money is no object, which is preferable, annual regulator overhaul, or every other year with an inspection in between?

All opinions much appreciated!

Thank you all very much for the excellent suggestions so far. I should have added, BTW, that I only go on 2-3 diving trips a year with an average of (maybe) 10-12 dives per trip.

My reg setup has an IP gauge. But I'm not sure how this is supposed indicate when service is needed?
The IP is the pressure that the first stage supplies to the second stage, if you check the IP on your serviced system by plugging it into the b/c inflator hose and note the pressure, check it again before your next trip, if the pressure is about the same and it doesn’t creep (slowly continue to rise) you are good to go. With your 40 to 50 dives per year you “should” be able to go 4 years + before a service is required.

I think you are confusing your HP gauge with an IP gauge.

My reg setup has an IP gauge. But I'm not sure how this is supposed indicate when service is needed?
If the regs don't leak anywhere when submerged, a change in dynamic IP when the second stage is breathed and then purged suggests a change in internal friction.
An increase in (piston) static IP suggests HP seat wear.
IP "drift" suggests knife edge deterioration.
IP "creep" is a fail of the HP seal and the reg should not be dived.

Bottom line: get used to your static and dynamic IP before the first dive every day. Takes 15 sec to check and reconnect your bcd hose.
When you notice any change from what you're used to seeing, it's time to retune or service.

Oops! Simultext with Lex!

If the regs don't leak anywhere when submerged, a change in dynamic IP when the second stage is breathed and then purged suggests a change in internal friction.

Bottom line: get used to your static and dynamic IP before the first dive every day. Takes 15 sec to check and reconnect your bcd hose.
When you notice any change from what you're used to seeing, it's time to retune or service.

Oops! Simultext with Lex!
Of course you are more precise :)

Think this should be taught to every diver. Even if they don't want to tinker with their reg but, knowing something is wrong is vital.

Think this should be taught to every diver. Even if they don't want to tinker with their reg but, knowing something is wrong is vital.

Rest In Peace, Robert Couvillon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom