TUSA Reg Service Question, Follow-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex_Garland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

A couple of years ago, SCUBABOARD users were very helpful in answering a question I posted about annual service on my TUSA regulators:

I would like opinions on a more general question. TUSA offers free part kits for regulators that receive a full overhaul (rebuilding) every year. My local dive shop in D.C. has been servicing my regs for the past 3 years. Based on my discussions with them over my current invoice, we've determined that based on TUSA's free parts offer for annual servicing, I can go one of two ways going forward: 1) either get full service every year as TUSA recommends, which would amount to $294 (2 years total, parts, labor, and taxes), or 2) get full service every other year, with just an inspection in off years, which would amount to $254.

Since the price different between these two service plans is not that much, I would prefer to follow whichever plan is preferable from a safety perspective. Does anyone have a strong opinion about whether it is safer to perform full servicing every year, or every other year? I would think that full service every year would make for a less likely chance of mechanical failure. But in the above thread, someone mentioned that "any time you rebuild a reg, there is a chance that one of those brand new o-rings or a seat will fail," which is a bit unnerving--and counter-intuitive.

Assuming money is no object, which is preferable, annual regulator overhaul, or every other year with an inspection in between?

All opinions much appreciated!

But in the above thread, someone mentioned that "any time you rebuild a reg, there is a chance that one of those brand new o-rings or a seat will fail," which is a bit unnerving--and counter-intuitive.
I have heard as many stories of reg failures after service as not.

From personal experience, 3 of the 3 freeflows at depth I have been present for were just serviced regulators. The first was my instructor's regulator during my deep dive class (wasn't a drill, 41 degrees at 100ft), he is the co-owner of the LDS where the reg was serviced. I haven't personally observed any other reg failures.

I've decided to to be compulsive about rinsing my reg's and take @lexvil 's advice above.

1) either get full service every year as TUSA recommends, which would amount to $294 (2 years total, parts, labor, and taxes), or 2) get full service every other year, with just an inspection in off years, which would amount to $254.

I recommend full service every other year but a full inspection in the off years. I am surprised however that the price difference is only $40 between full service for two years and full service/inspection. It just doesn't add up at all. What is the cost for the full service per year and the inspection per year?

Quality regulators that are serviced well, not used much, and stored well can go a very long time between services. Since you're asking about best safe practices, IMO it's rebuilding only when the regulator shows some indication of wear or poor function, or has been used on a large number of dives, or the service history is unknown. Since I take good care of my regulators, they frequently go several years between services.

But I also inspect them carefully before each dive trip, and there is no reason at all that a reasonably mechanically inclined diver can't do the same. It's not rocket science. So I wouldn't say 'annual' inspection, I would say inspection before each trip, or anytime they've been sitting for a while.

Quality regulators that are serviced well, not used much, and stored well can go a very long time between services. Since you're asking about best safe practices, IMO it's rebuilding only when the regulator shows some indication of wear or poor function, or has been used on a large number of dives, or the service history is unknown. Since I take good care of my regulators, they frequently go several years between services.

But I also inspect them carefully before each dive trip, and there is no reason at all that a reasonably mechanically inclined diver can't do the same. It's not rocket science. So I wouldn't say 'annual' inspection, I would say inspection before each trip, or anytime they've been sitting for a while.
Let me add to the last part, inspection before a trip, allowing time to correct anything found in the inspection, for many the last part goes without saying but…

@BoltSnap even if the inspection is practically free, the MSRP on parts cost is significant in the US. figure 140 per year in labor for service + some tax for yearly service vs 140 labor one year + 20 inspection + 80 in parts kits + tax if going every other year.

Sale the Tusa regs and buy Dive Rite. Learn how to service them yourself, Spend $50 to $60 on service kits. Service when needed (every 3 to 4 years depending on use). Buy an IP gauge to determine when service is needed.

I am surprised however that the price difference is only $40 between full service for two years and full service/inspection. It just doesn't add up at all. What is the cost for the full service per year and the inspection per year?

My 1st stage and Octo are TUSA, my 2nd stage primary is an Oceanic. Parts break down like this:

Replacement kits for 2 TUSA stages combined: $50
Replacement kit for Oceanic: $24

Labor as follows:

Annual rebuilding: $45 / stage = $135 total
Annual inspection: $15 / stage = $45

Rebuilding every year, as per TUSA's recommendation, amounts to the following total for 2 years:
Year 1: $135 labor + $24 Oceanic parts = $159
Year 2: $135 labor
TOTAL: $294

Rebuilding every other year with just an inspection in between, total for 2 years:
Year 1: $135 labor + $50 TUSA parts + $24 Oceanic parts = $209
Year 2: $45 inspection labor = $45
TOTAL: $254

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom