Turtling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacLir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. As an entry-level doubles diver that is on the small-side physically, I have been imagining worst case scenarios and how to be mentally prepared with a technique to address them. Given the weight and bouyancy characteristics of my doubles rig (double steel 100s in standard Hogarthian set-up), it seems very possible to me that a diver could wind up turtled on the bottom (or on descent) if that diver were to make enough mistakes in a row when confronted with unexpected conditions. I am reminded of the scenario of a feet-up dry-suit ascent and the recovery techniques for that. Is there a similar recovery technique (short of main strength and, hopefully, a nearby point of leverage) to recover from a tanks-down descent?

Thanks

you shouldn't be able to get all the way over and upside-down. that would be an impressive feat indeed. If you start turtling, extend your legs out to lower your CoG and give a big kick in the exact same manner as recovering from a feet up drysuit situation.

If you have to have any lead, make sure to put it in a tail weight pouch

Hi all. As an entry-level doubles diver that is on the small-side physically, I have been imagining worst case scenarios and how to be mentally prepared with a technique to address them. Given the weight and bouyancy characteristics of my doubles rig (double steel 100s in standard Hogarthian set-up), it seems very possible to me that a diver could wind up turtled on the bottom (or on descent) if that diver were to make enough mistakes in a row when confronted with unexpected conditions. I am reminded of the scenario of a feet-up dry-suit ascent and the recovery techniques for that. Is there a similar recovery technique (short of main strength and, hopefully, a nearby point of leverage) to recover from a tanks-down descent?

Thanks

Air in your BCD to get neutral? Twisting fin kick to flip over?

I'm not small, but I use double steel 120s. I don't have any real issues turning to be horizontal, facing up, and then turning back over when I'm ready.

I think you are also transposing a bit of what you feel like on the surface as to how it is underwater. Your wing supports your tanks and actually wraps up a bit on each side, more or less making a cushion that your tanks ride on. Is it possible to flip over and be tanks down, sure, but as stated already it really is not difficult to overcome that and get right side up again.

I have about a ton of weight on the back of my tanks (okay, maybe not a ton, but a good 15 lbs). I can flip over and swim upside down and flip back again without a problem.

You'll be stable enough that you won't be flipping over accidentally. It will take some effort to get into that position in the first place.

In the caves I enjoy turtling intentionally to enjoy the ceilings, when neutral buoyant it's very easy to rotate back to right side up with a few fin strokes. Even grossly back heavy it's not difficult once neutral using the bcd.

However, careful in the shallow waters and perhaps practice reflex based gear removal. Fallen, strapped to the tanks in a few feet of water is unpleasant.

For your own peace of mind practicing it a few times should reassure you and prepare the techniques needed. You'll be surprised how little strength is needed.

Regards,
Cameron

I'd be more worried about turtling by putting your cylinders back in your car as opposed to under water. I'm on the smaller side (5'2"), dive twin 12s (equivalent to HP100s), and have yet to turtle myself underwater (accidentally. I have flipped myself over to blow bubble rings). Into the boot of my car however, is another story, that was caught on glorious CCTV and I believe uploaded to the dive site facebook page (with my permission).

For me, who turtles intentionally quite often (under water), I use a technique from my kayaking days .... the eskimo roll.

Just swing those hips with a little help from a half frog kick/helicopter turn.

On land, well that's a whole other matter .....

_R

My thanks for the replies and advice. I plan to try a few flip overs and recoveries (with buddy supervision) to get some experience. And, yes, stability on land (or comedic lack thereof) is a very different story!

Much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom