DIR- GUE Course Review - GUE Fundamentals with Sameh Sokar, October 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

digitalMechanic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About a year ago, I started diving again after a few dry years. At about the same time, I came across a random video on YouTube showing a diver deploying an SMB. The diver was absolutely still in the water - I told myself immediately that this is how I want to look underwater. I started digging and realized that this diver was a GUE diver - so naturally I started to look at how to become one myself, and found out about the Fundamentals course. The beginning was a bit frustrating, since I learned that I needed to replace all my gear (not a bad thing, as it was pretty old anyway), and the worst part - I'm going to have to travel to take the course, since there are not GUE instructors in my country.
Fast forward one year - I purchased all the necessary gear, found like minded friends who wanted to take the course with me, and contacted Sameh Sokar - a GUE instructor from Dahab, Egypt.

Day 0
We arrived at Sameh's dive center - Scuba Seekers, a day before the course was scheduled to start. Here I will stop and say that if you are looking for a dive center in Dahab (next to the Blue Hole), that is also a shrine to the gods of order and organization - look no further. We went for a check dive just to make sure our gear is in order. This may be a good time to point out that this was my first time using double tanks.

Day 1
Time to start the actual course. The first day was mostly dedicated to theoretical lessons, but by the end of it, we started going through some finning technique dry runs. This was the first time in my diving career in which someone had taught me how to actually use my fins for maximum efficiency. It was specific down to the level of how to move my toes.

Day 2
First diving day. We arrived at 8:30 to the dive center and began what would become our morning ritual for the week. Take our kits from the filling station, analyze the gas, mark the tanks, perform functionality tests, brief the dive, and head for the water. Both dives this day were dedicated to practicing finning techniques. We swam out to a specific rock, Sameh deployed a line, and we started circling the line using different techniques. I have no pleasant way to write it, so I'll just say - these dives sucked hard. Every bit of stability I had on a single tank went out the window, like the bubbles from my regulator. I had to constantly struggle just to keep myself from tipping over. At the end of the second dive we started practicing the basic 5 drill, which meant getting in a triangle formation - I was not able to keep my position for the life of me.
At the end of each dive, we debriefed with Sameh. He insisted that my issues were mainly caused by my equipment and that it needed some adjustment. It gave me a sliver of hope, but my main thoughts that evening were that I will not pass this course on the first attempt.

Day 3
We began the day with some equipment tuning - changed the length of the harness a bit, moved some weight around, and back to the water we went. As soon as I hit the water, I felt the difference. I was still far from completely still, but I was way more stable than the previous day. This day was dedicated to S-drills and V-drills, and by the time it was my turn to practice my V-drill, I managed to complete it without running over my teammates - is there hope for me after all?

Day 4
This day began with even more tuning of my gear (had to lengthen the harness to lower the tanks on my back). When we got to the water, I was suddenly in a different world. Sameh's tips from every dive suddenly clicked in my head, and together with the gear adjustment, I was suddenly stable in the water. On the first dive of the day, we practiced SMB deployment. I may not have been as motionless as the diver I saw in the video a year ago, but I was certainly proud of my performance. On the second dive, Sameh started talking to me about fixing my trim from 10 degrees to completely horizontal - just a couple of days ago this would have sounded like science fiction to me. Sameh kept telling us that he was no Harry Potter, and could not perform magic. At this day, I started questioning that statement.

Day 5
If you know the GUE Fundamentals schedule, you are now asking "Day 5? Fundies is only 4 days", and you would be correct. Fortunately for us, Sameh was available that day, and we decided to get another training day. On this day, we did one long dive, which started with practicing unconscious diver rescue, and ended with us repeating every exercise in the course, without prior preparation. Fatigue started to show on me, and I wasn't as stable as I was the previous day, but still felt very good with my performance.

Results
This was a long week, with days starting at 8:30 and ending at 20:00. It was a demanding course, both mentally and physically. As you may know, you can finish Fundies with one of three possible outcomes:
  • Failure
  • Rec Pass (eligible to take GUE recreational classes)
  • Tech Pass (eligible to take GUE technical classes)
I ended up with a Rec Pass, and according to Sameh, was very close to the Tech pass. Not bad for someone with zero doubles experience prior to the course.
To conclude, if you've heard of this course and are contemplating whether or not to take it, or if you've never heard of it, but want to take your diving skills to the next level, I can highly recommend the Fundamentals course in general, and Sameh Sokar in particular.

As for me, I will continue practicing, upgrade to a tech pass, and move on further to GUE tech classes.
See you underwater!

Nice report. Thank you. And congratulations on the rec pass. That cannot have been easy, given it was your first experience diving doubles.

It's good to know there is a GUE presence in Dahab. When I was there, quite a few years ago now, I hadn't even heard of GUE. Now I'm a GUE geek, I suppose.

Much respect and congrats on the rec pass. Appreciate the write up on your experience. Gives me hope as I continue my efforts to learn and improve.

Congratulations on the Rec pass! Nice course review. I visited Dahab and went diving with Scubaseekers this year, and I had a great experience. Sameh is a very nice guy, runs a fabulous dive center and from what I hear he is an excellent diver - I will definitely try to get a training dive with him next time I go there.

Congratulations!!

Does the Fundies tech. pass require using drysuit? Why didn't you take the twinset and drysuit primers before starting the fundies course?

Day 3
We began the day with some equipment tuning - changed the length of the harness a bit, moved some weight around, and back to the water we went. As soon as I hit the water, I felt the difference...

Congratulations and great write-up!

I'm surprised that you guys didn't put on your gear, check fitting, and make adjustments on the first day. By the time you went diving, Sameh knew you were head heavy and exactly how to fix it, but adjustments weren't made until the 3rd day. You could have been so much more comfortable sooner and have the free bandwidth for the skills.

In my course and the ones I've observed, the equipment fitting was the first day and we did the finning and propulsion dives the first day. Then re-adjusted in small increments as needed. We also had loooong 10 or 12 hour days, but they were still fun.

I've noticed that the instructors quickly and subtly nail the issues for each student, but they often leave you to come to the same conclusion or ask how to fix it. Three days to start tweaking gear out of what is usually a 4 day course seems excessive though.

It might be a local preference or a specific instructor thing, but the GUE training director was overseeing our Fundies course and wasn't there for future courses, so it didn't seem so.

All in all, I'm glad you feel so much more comfortable. You might notice that the next times that you dive, everything seems to be more effortless and smooth than they were previously. Time in the water and a little skills practice does wonders. Great work! :)

well day 3 was only the second day in the water, so he let the student struggle for the first wet day. Maybe he wanted to leave an impression, sounds like he succeeded?

Congratulations!!
Thanks!

Does the Fundies tech. pass require using drysuit?
No, a drysuit is not required for a tech pass.

Why didn't you take the twinset and drysuit primers before starting the fundies course?
I consulted with Sameh about taking the primers. Since I had to travel, and had limited time, I decided to take the risk and skip the doubles primer. As for the drysuit, Sameh told me that taking the fundies course on a drysuit with only the primer as your experience, is more or less guaranteed to get you to fail. The drysuit just adds too much complexity.
I actually planned on taking the drysuit primer right after fundies, but that later became the 5th day we added, as we realized it would give us better value.

Congratulations and great write-up!

I'm surprised that you guys didn't put on your gear, check fitting, and make adjustments on the first day. By the time you went diving, Sameh knew you were head heavy and exactly how to fix it, but adjustments weren't made until the 3rd day. You could have been so much more comfortable sooner and have the free bandwidth for the skills.

In my course and the ones I've observed, the equipment fitting was the first day and we did the finning and propulsion dives the first day. Then re-adjusted in small increments as needed. We also had loooong 10 or 12 hour days, but they were still fun.
Yeah, I guess I didn't mention that in my write up, but of course we had gear fittings on the first day. The thing was that for me, when the harness was fitted "by the book", I was too head heavy. Finding the correct adjustments was a continuous process after every dive.

I've noticed that the instructors quickly and subtly nail the issues for each student, but they often leave you to come to the same conclusion or ask how to fix it. Three days to start tweaking gear out of what is usually a 4 day course seems excessive though.
Just remember that we didn't have any dives on the first day - so it affects the schedule a bit.

It might be a local preference or a specific instructor thing, but the GUE training director was overseeing our Fundies course and wasn't there for future courses, so it didn't seem so.
Yeah, I don't think GUE can afford a training director to oversee every fundies class...

All in all, I'm glad you feel so much more comfortable. You might notice that the next times that you dive, everything seems to be more effortless and smooth than they were previously. Time in the water and a little skills practice does wonders. Great work! :)
Getting back in the water this weekend for the first time after the course - can't wait!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom