PADI Open Water Diver Course - ALL SKILLS Video!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The post and video are not about you. They are about training new instructors. Perhaps your own training is not the issue?
Agree. But I think they are also for people who will be taking OW and what they can expect to be learning. That's how I read the descriptions anyway.
As I said, I agree with you about it being better if done neutrally--from a teacher standpoint. From me as an OW student standpoint, I would've been glad to have the videos back then, knees or not.
They would've helped me also as a DMC, but again in order to keep up with the times, they would better be shown neutrally.

But I think they are also for people who will be taking OW and what they can expect to be learning. That's how I read the descriptions anyway.
As I said, I agree with you about it being better if done neutrally--from a teacher standpoint. From me as an OW student standpoint, I would've been glad to have the videos back then, knees or not.

There are already such videos provided (if students bother to watch DVDs). I don't know how long that DVD has been provided.

The fundamental problem is that buoyancy skills are typically lacking with new divers. Overweighting and on the knees instruction are causes of this.

I wonder what it will take for instructors to be capable of teaching courses neutrally buoyant (and hopefully trim) and never place students on their knees ever again. Unfortunately, many CDs/ITs (to include non-PADI agencies) are not capable of performing skills in this manner. I've seen other videos from the OP with constant sculling of fins due to being foot heavy. If the "leaders" cannot figure out to get themselves trim without sculling, what hopes can we have for the instructors they create and the students taught?

There are already such videos provided (if students bother to watch DVDs). I don't know how long that DVD has been provided.

The fundamental problem is that buoyancy skills are typically lacking with new divers. Overweighting and on the knees instruction are causes of this.

I wonder what it will take for instructors to be capable of teaching courses neutrally buoyant (and hopefully trim) and never place students on their knees ever again. Unfortunately, many CDs/ITs (to include non-PADI agencies) are not capable of performing skills in this manner. I've seen other videos from the OP with constant sculling of fins due to being foot heavy. If the "leaders" cannot figure out to get themselves trim without sculling, what hopes can we have for the instructors they create and the students taught?
I don't beileve there were really any such videos when I took OW in '05. Could be wrong--I don't think I really looked (think I just studied the book for 2 months ahead and didn't think I'd need a video?).
But yes, this video as I read it, is for OW students and what they can expect, as being shown by expert instructors. I doesn't say it is intended for divemaster candidates or for any kind of instruction for instructors, but could be used for that. Thus I agree the neutrality would be better.

The skill set is not complete, by the way. Where is the SMB/DSMB deployment?

I pity the poor student who studies this video and learns how to do stuff and then takes the class taught with neutral buoyancy.

I don't beileve there were really any such videos when I took OW in '05.

Materials provided by agencies has changed so dramatically (my opinion).

While not perfect with all the sculling, this video from Utila Dive Center is four years old, and at the time it was uploaded to YouTube, it was probably the best thing out there.

Why anyone would look at a video with demonstrations performed on the knees since that time makes no sense to me. We don't dive on our knees.

The skill set is not complete, by the way. Where is the SMB/DSMB deployment?

I pity the poor student who studies this video and learns how to do stuff and then takes the class taught with neutral buoyancy.
You managed to watch the entire thing? Do you pound rusty nails through both palms using your forehead as a hammer? Less painful if you ask me!

You managed to watch the entire thing? Do you pound rusty nails through both palms using your forehead as a hammer? Less painful if you ask me!
Nope didn't watch but a small segment. Just looked at the list of skills in the OP.

I'm saying it's not big difference retrieving a reg while swimming or neutral vs. on the knees.
As was explained in post #7, all the skills are done dramatically differently. Here is a story that you may find interesting.

The article on NB that PADI published a decade ago was originally several times the length of the published version, and Karl Shreeves of PADI was assigned to work with me on cutting it down to size. Much of the original was dedicated to WHY it was better to do the skills neutrally buoyant and in horizontal trim. Most of that material was cut out, leaving an article that told how to do it without explaining why. A key point in those excised materials was that teaching on the knees was teaching how to do things wrong initially with the theory that the skills could be corrected later.

This violates the law of primacy, an education principle that says the way you learn things first is most likely to be the way you will continue to do it. Karl and I had quite a debate about it over the weeks we negotiated our way to the final draft. We finally compromised, and there is a sentence in the final draft that came totally from Karl, in which it is said that it is OK to introduce a skill on the knees first as long as that same skill is later taught neutrally buoyant as well, hopefully in the same session.

Although I cannot say for sure, I am pretty confident that while Karl and I were negotiating that draft, PADI was trying it out themselves and coming to an "OMG This really works!" conclusion. The article was published 6 months earlier than they had originally scheduled it. A year or two later, I wrote another article that was slated for publication but got bumped and never made it. In that second article I went through all the key skills and showed how they were different when done neutrally buoyant and why it was fundamentally wrong to teach it on the knees first. Again, Karl worked with me on the final draft, and in that article, my first draft was accepted with nearly no change, with Karl totally agreeing with with concepts that contradicted his previous opinion.

As was explained in post #7, all the skills are done dramatically differently. Here is a story that you may find interesting.

The article on NB that PADI published a decade ago was originally several times the length of the published version, and Karl Shreeves of PADI was assigned to work with me on cutting it down to size. Much of the original was dedicated to WHY it was better to do the skills neutrally buoyant and in horizontal trim. Most of that material was cut out, leaving an article that told how to do it without explaining why. A key point in those excised materials was that teaching on the knees was teaching how to do things wrong initially with the theory that the skills could be corrected later.

This violates the law of primacy, an education principle that says the way you learn things first is most likely to be the way you will continue to do it. Karl and I had quite a debate about it over the weeks we negotiated our way to the final draft. We finally compromised, and there is a sentence in the final draft that came totally from Karl, in which it is said that it is OK to introduce a skill on the knees first as long as that same skill is later taught neutrally buoyant as well, hopefully in the same session.

Although I cannot say for sure, I am pretty confident that while Karl and I were negotiating that draft, PADI was trying it out themselves and coming to an "OMG This really works!" conclusion. The article was published 6 months earlier than they had originally scheduled it. A year or two later, I wrote another article that was slated for publication but got bumped and never made it. In that second article I went through all the key skills and showed how they were different when done neutrally buoyant and why it was fundamentally wrong to teach it on the knees first. Again, Karl worked with me on the final draft, and in that article, my first draft was accepted with nearly no change, with Karl totally agreeing with with concepts that contradicted his previous opinion.
Yes, I understand what you're saying. I think you and others mentioned on a past thread about how many people will always look for a place to kneel in order to clear their masks-- because that's the first way they were taught. Though of course I have to believe you guys (you've see it, not me), I will always find this puzzling, as I never had an inkling to do this, though I was taught it kneeling. But, old news.
I learned to retrieve the reg. on my knees (both methods--I know it is easier to do the "grasp the hose in back" technique neutral because you don't have to hoist the tank up). For the regular "arm swoop" method, I easily demonstrated it to OW students while we swam about. Never gave it a thought--same easiness as when on my knees. No one had to re-train me on this.
Do you really think that with this skill and mask skills there is a big difference in procedure and difficulty? I suppose we'll just have to disagree on that.

Late reply to this post but I'll tell you... these videos got me through the skills demonstration portion of my DM course with flying colours. I still try to channel the DM/Instructor in the films every time I have to demo a skill.

Thank you for the excellent work! I'll be running my step-kids through these as they start their OW training this month.

This is Awesome to hear Dan!! We have 2 Youtube channels:

www.youtube.com/scubadivingtips and www.youtube.com/marcelvandenberg1

Please subscribe to both and click on the notification bell :)

I am glad the video's helped and have a good day!

Marcel van den Berg
IDC Koh Tao Thailand
Scuba Diving Tips

Back
Top Bottom