DIR- GUE Course Review - GUE Fundamentals with Sameh Sokar, October 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you! If I understand it correctly, THRUST is the word I was looking for. My subjective experience is that the timing of extending the toes can create more instant thrust forwards. I dont know if this is somehow caused by acceleration of the fin or that it manages to push more water directly backwards because of the position or angle of the fin blade. At the very least it feels different. Now, if you want more sustained thrust over time, flutter kicking would be more appropriate (because of a higher frequency of the kick cycle?), and maybe the toe extension would create a similar effect in that case.
Thust is variable in time. What you get with a fast kick is a high peak value of thrust.
if you want to get an high value of time-averaged thrust, then, as you suggest, the best kicking style is flutter, possibly in the dolphin variant (which avoids the two fins "braking" each other, moving in opposite directions at short distance).
But for optimal dolphin kicking you really need a carbon-fiber monofin, and a finned swimming instructor teaching you how to move the whole body like a dolphin.
It takes months, and some people are physically incapable of learning the proper kicking style, so let's say it is not for everyone.

I think toe extension puts the fins into the lowest possible drag position to extend the glide. Getting a good glide is essential for efficient frog kicking.

Hi,
I am not too sure to understand well what you mean by "toe extension" ... you mean that toes stay contracted most of the time to assist the calves and thighs or do you mean that you flex them at each fin cycle ?
Never focus on my toes ... will consider it during my next dives

Hi,
I am not too sure to understand well what you mean by "toe extension" ... you mean that toes stay contracted most of the time to assist the calves and thighs or do you mean that you flex them at each fin cycle ?
Never focus on my toes ... will consider it during my next dives
Alternate during the cycle: Flex or relax toes to help ankles flex in the recovery phase, and extend toes (straighten) in the push to help ankles extend - keep this position while gliding so that the legs, feet and toes are pointing in a straight line behind you.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom