Tried to Kill Myself but Failed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the purpose of this thread, ie. solo diving with a primary tank and a pony bottle, the pony bottle can be sidemounted in such a way that the diver's front is still quite clear and the pony bottle doesn't interfere with any of your photography or hunting equipment. If done properly, it doesn't come around to the front of your body and allows full range of motion for your arms. The pony's regulator is then secured to the pony tank by looping its hose through bungees or rubber bands, as has been illustrated elsewhere (google "stage bottle rigging"). I think the people who complain about wanting "to keep their front free", possibly didn't spend enough time understanding how to rig a bottle properly on the side.

In the sidemounted pony configuration, one can visually trace the full path of the pony regulator hose from its source on the first stage, to the second stage mouthpiece at any time, whether or not it is in use. This configuration also has numerous other advantages, some safety-related and some convenience.

1. In the event of a pony regulator failure (leading to permanent freeflow) during the dive -- which now you see immediately -- you can simply turn the pony tank valve off and continue the dive as normal (it's not considered an emergency). In this situation, if you needed to switch to the pony, the gas in the pony would still be available to you (by feathering the valve).

2. You can easily see if the pony regs + spgs are leaking (even in a small way, such as indicating a failing o-ring) at any time during the dive.

3. (Convenience) at the end of the dive, you can unclip the pony and hand it up.

If you do it this way and then at some point in the future you decide to progress to technical diving, you'll already be familiar with rigging deco / stage bottles.

That seems so scary. Been diving many years now without a spare pony but finally bought one this year. Glad it worked out for you!!

@ Dawg: why do you have two smb's with you?
I don't. I have one DSMB ( Deployable Surface Marker Buoy) on a 150ft spool and the other is an SMB (Surface Marker Buoy). The DSMB is deployable from depth with an OPV (Over Pressure Valve). The SMB is my backup for surface signaling only and has no OPV... (over pressure valve).

PS.... I'm an SDI / TDS Solo diver and primarily dive solo.

Extend my condolences to your lovely wife should another opportunity arise. I was able to thoroughly examine your near death experience with some degree of certainty. In addition to the following inadequate responses, I came away with one preconceived notion. Why hadn’t you labelled the inside of both exhaust vents by writing down pony on one and primary on the other? As an experienced shallow solo diver I understand your infinite need for the AIR 2 configuration. It’s quick—it’s convenient—it’s simple. Although, I don’t approve that particular configuration for team diving. Nevertheless, your instincts and solid training background proved instrumental. Check SPG is working correctly earlier than usual. Since you choose to dive and hunt alone, the need for vigilance is paramount. Work to a system of counterchecks before—during and after every dive.

DSMB = "Deployable *Delayed* Submersible/Surface Marker Buoy"?

rx7diver
I guess I learn something new every day!! Thanks! I've always called it "deployable". I guess that just always seemed more accurate to me than "delayed"...

Have you never lost an SMB on a dive? You could have had a tangle when launching, so you let it go; the boat will pick up the dead SMB.

You then get your backup SMB out and use that.

If deep diving, you carry another small yellow one which indicates to the boat skipper that you want your drop cylinder thrown down the line (or whatever other pre-arranged signal you've agreed).

It’s common for solo divers and people who dive in places where separation is a real possibility (think less than 1m visibility sometimes in a bad patch or current picking up with high tides). And if you are in a place where deploying a DSMB is really mandatory.

If you are alone and f up your first DSMB, then what do you do?

Back
Top Bottom