trying to decide on these five options for a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just replaced two Uwatec Smart over the weekend for a grand total of US$20.00.
There are enough info on how to change the battery on line and in scubaboard for Smart. All you need is liquid paraffin oil, LS14500 battery and basic soldering skill. Someone described it as walk in the park!
Assuming you want to do the work...I don't. And I build PC's and fix cars so I'm not afraid to get dirty. I personally would not trust a dive computer I worked on.

I have the Oceanic version of the Aeris Elite T3, the VT3, it's a great computer, more than 5 years, more than 600 dives. I would be a little hesitant to buy it off eBay but maybe it would work out fine. I would pass on the Suunto RGBM algorithm as well as the old Uwatecs without user changeable batteries. I would be tempted to buy my dive computer new. If you must have AI, consider the Oceanic Atom 3.1. For a deal, think about the Oceanic Geo2 and an SPG. LeisurePro has great prices, maybe you can get a good deal locally.

For all responding, his budget is around $300-$350 USD, which is not much....

with as bad as the CAD is right now, it's basically impossible to buy an AI computer for that price, even used. I'm also somewhat hesitant to recommend a new computer right now because of the upheaval that has happened in the scuba computer industry. Realistically I would wait for the Deep6 computer to be out. Will be around $200cad, comes with a bungee mount, 3 gas, etc. Basic recreational computer, but a much better value than anything mentioned above. If you want AI, then you're going to have to pay more for it, and I would recommend the Hollis DG03 with transmitter from Dive Gear Express, but even that is pushing 800cad with transmitter and download cable and at that point you may as well spend $950cad for the Petrel and support Canadian business....

Realistically I would wait for the Deep6 computer to be out. Will be around $200cad, comes with a bungee mount, 3 gas, etc. Basic recreational computer...
Too good to be true?
deep6gear.com?

Too good to be true?
deep6gear.com?

I've been hearing about these for a while now. Nothing to be gleaned from their website except that they are going to be using, yet another, custom RGBM decompression algorithm, that's a shame https://www.deep6gear.com/ :

Computers

Our new dive computer is the result of over a year of research of development. It operates in Air, Nitrox, and Gauge modes, and uses a customized RGBM decompression model. Available in both wrist mount and puck configurations, our price is the most competitive on the market.
There are no products matching the selection.

----------------

I see that Deep6 has been in the manufacturer's forum for a while also, some interesting info re background. Looks like folks who went to DEMA know quite a bit more than the rest of us

Last edited:
Frankly, once you start to use a Petrel it becomes very difficult to imagine a more elegant and intuitive user-interface (and we're not even talking about it's reliability, features, and customer service).

However, having said that... I have used Suunto's for close to 20 years on everything from extended liveaboards, to tech dives in gauge mode. I have never once found the Sunto RGBM a problem in being overly conservative to the point that it cripples the overall experience and they have been rock solid and reliable throughout.

The user interface is not as fluid and intuitive as a Petrel for example, but like anything, once you use it enough it will become second nature for the most part. I would also add that the overwhelming majority of divers that I've seen here are using Suunto's and I have not seen a single hiccup with other divers as well.

So if you're thinking of getting one... by all means go for it. It will more than likely be in your price range and give you good reliable performance for many years. It's not a Petrel but it's not the Anti-Christ of dive computers that folks here on SB make it out to be! :)

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that any used or ebay purchases for dive computers is never covered by a warranty. That may or many not influence your buying decision.

As far as AI, it is a must have for me. Something you may want to experiment with (say diving with someone else's computer before you purchase when you have a larger budget). AI is a bit of a religious issue. For me, when I'm underwater with my camera, I like being able to slightly turn my head to check on my air consumption.

I've been hearing about these for a while now. Nothing to be gleaned from their website except that they are going to be using, yet another, custom RGBM decompression algorithm, that's a shame https://www.deep6gear.com/ :

Computers

Our new dive computer is the result of over a year of research of development. It operates in Air, Nitrox, and Gauge modes, and uses a customized RGBM decompression model. Available in both wrist mount and puck configurations, our price is the most competitive on the market.
There are no products matching the selection.
There is one short video(you tube) on the products but nothing on the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom