trying to decide on these five options for a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Junzhe Davy Zou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

During my last live aboard my computer started having problems. It can still keep track of critical information such as pressure, depths, deco time but can no longer recall any old dives (even the most recent). As it is all one unit I am not sure if I could fully trust it. Who knows what other components might fail as the unit is at least 13 years old. So the plan is to get a 2nd unit and relegate this one into a backup.

My budget is about 400~500 CAD dollars. Preferably wireless cause it is cool that I don't have to add another hose. Primarily I do live aboards down south and some cold water diving in Ontario/Quebec Canada.

So I am looking around various computers on ebay and kijiji and got these five options:

Suunto Vytec DS (Discontinued, issue is their software doesn't seem to have a w10 version which is what I am moving towards with all my computers).
Suunto Vytec DS avec transmetteur pour pression d'air | sports nautiques | Longueuil / Rive-Sud | Kijiji

UWatec (Discontinued, issue is need IR transmitter to get dive profiles and battery is only factory replaceable)
Scubapro • Uwatec • Smart TEC Wireless Dive Computer | eBay

Aeris Elite T3 (Discontinued, nothing too bad about it found yet.)
Aeris Elite T3 Dive Computer Transmitter | eBay

UWatec (same as Uwatec from above, really just from a different seller.)
Uwatec Smart Tec Computer | water sports | City of Toronto | Kijiji

iGills ( Issues are: this requires me to buy an iphone first. It can't function as a pressure gauge.)
iPhone Dive Computer | Scuba Diving iPhone Case, Dive Log

Any thoughts folks?

If "As it is all one unit I am not sure if I could fully trust it." how can you consider this as a back-up - I would want to be able to fully trust my computer if I was to continue to dive with it.

I wouldn't get the iGills and I have an iPhone. Every time you use it you must be sure you have sealed it correctly. If you have used an underwater camera you will know this is a constant focus. In this case if it leaks you lose your phone and dice computer. I am not sure this can be 'fully trusted'.

For me the only item I have bought new is the computer. I decided on the computer I wanted and wanted. There is always a risk buying second-hand/used and really for this item buying new will cost a bit more but you should get a lot of years user to spread that cost...

Just my 2 cents.

for $500canuk you should be able to get a brand new entry level computer (no wireless) - you may have to buy it online from a USA supplier. wireless tends to double the cost of an entry level computer.

if you are happy with used then there are lots of good computers on ebay for under $300 (not wireless).

And do not panic about 13 years old. My computers are all over 20 years old...

My budget is about 400~500 CAD dollars. Preferably wireless cause it is cool that I don't have to add another hose. Primarily I do live aboards down south and some cold water diving in Ontario/Quebec Canada.
Mares Puck for C$220.00 at Amazon.ca.
Mares Puck Pro for US$170.00 at Leisurepro.
Forget about wireless.

Price the battery replacement before you decide on an older Uwatec. Mine would've been $125-150 dollars a few years ago.

Price the battery replacement before you decide on an older Uwatec. Mine would've been $125-150 dollars a few years ago.
I just replaced two Uwatec Smart over the weekend for a grand total of US$20.00.
There are enough info on how to change the battery on line and in scubaboard for Smart. All you need is liquid paraffin oil, LS14500 battery and basic soldering skill. Someone described it as walk in the park!

You haven't stated your real needs in terms of dive computers. I would not go for a second-hand unit as long as there isn't a very specific requirement that is outside my budget when purchased new. For all I know, there are plenty of good dive computers in your budget, on leisurepro/scubatoys such as Mares Puck, Oceanic Veo, Suunto Zoop, Suunto Vyper, Mares Nemo Wide (on leisurepro), Oceanic Geo. And there are many more over there, so you can choose for your taste.

Even the Oceanic Atom 3.1 or the Suunto Vyper Air are very close to your budget - like 10 USD close - (as you seem to require AI, although I think you could easily live without it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom